Author Topic: People counter  (Read 1923 times)

simon_000666

• NewMember
People counter
« on: March 23, 2014, 07:24:31 AM »
Hi,
I am living in Germany, Berlin, I would like to create a network to count the number of people entering my shop, the entrance and exit are separate so I can create 2 nodes one on the exit one on the entrance. I would then use a PIR to sense movement in the two areas. The thing is power is not so easy to the sensor nodes, so I would like to run it off batteries. I would like to transmit the sensor data to a main raspberry pie that is plugged into a wall socket, this has a 3g data connection to send the data to my server as the shop has no wifi. Do you think Motetino is a good fit for this use case? Is this the right approach to do what I want?

Thanks

Simon

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
Re: People counter
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 08:34:51 AM »
Dear Simon,
The PIR might pick up motion that is farther away but you have some pots to control the sensitivity so that might be OK.
Other than that the PIR is probably a good choice since it allows the micro to sleep and only wake it up when there is motion.
You can power the Moteino+PIR from a 9V battery, or you could use the PowerShield and power from any battery that is less than 5V. Basically you could just buy a MotionMote kit and all is included except battery and Moteino which you can choose separately according to frequency you want etc. Then you have a nice small case.
Unfortunately MotionMote is currently out of stock, hoping to get the necessary parts soon.

simon_000666

• NewMember
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 04:36:14 PM »
Hi Felix,

Thanks for the advice, I think the motionmote kit is a good fit. The bit I was missing though is how I would go about connecting the rasberryPi to the Moteino?

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 07:06:00 PM »
Really simple:
Pi      Moteino
5V     VIN
GND  GND
TX     RX
RX     TX

If you want to program your Moteino directly from the Pi then I would recommend getting a MoteinoUSB and just plug it into one of the USB ports. There's another thread which explains how to rename the Moteino serial port to something more human readable: http://lowpowerlab.com/forum/index.php/topic,381.0.html
But the simplest way to connect it after you have loaded it with your receiver sketch is as shown above.