Moteino R4 Eagle Library Package..

Started by sntlewis, January 10, 2014, 08:38:40 AM

sntlewis

I thought I'd ask before I went into creating one.

Does anyone have an Eagle Library Package for the Moteino?  I'm needing to create a larger PCB with the Moteino as part of it.  I'd like to put as much as possible with headers.  While this won't be a "shield" per se, think in those terms.

Stan

priority

I'm not an Eagle expert by any means, but for a similar challenge (see: http://lowpowerlab.com/forum/index.php/topic,240.0.html), I started by (1) copying the R4 schematic and board layout, (2) adding the additional components I needed for my design to the R4 schematic, and (3) modifying the board layout to suit my purposes.   

Felix

Quote from: priority on January 10, 2014, 03:20:30 PM
I'm not an Eagle expert by any means, but for a similar challenge (see: http://lowpowerlab.com/forum/index.php/topic,240.0.html), I started by (1) copying the R4 schematic and board layout, (2) adding the additional components I needed for my design to the R4 schematic, and (3) modifying the board layout to suit my purposes.   

That's a great start!
BTW the 1x13 headers are 800 mils apart.
And you can extract all the parts used in a schematic/layout using one of the ULPs in Eagle (can't remember which).

sntlewis

working on an EagleCAD libary for Moteino R4..  Makes my life easier.

Will post back when reasonable complete.
Stan

ColinR

Any update here? I'm about to dig into this for a PCB, also considering Mega USB.

C
CuPID Controls :: Open Source browser-based sensor and device control
Interfaceinnovations.org/cupidcontrols.html
cupidcontrols.com

TomWS

#5
I understood this question to be an eagle library for Moteino as a module.  If you use Moteino as a module on another PCB, which is what I'm about to start, it would be very useful if there was a schematic symbol (admittedly easy to do), with a corresponding package footprint (not difficult, but having a proven package increases the confidence level).

Does anyone have one of those to share?

If not, I'll post one when I make my own.  I should mention that I need to include the Aref, Ant, and Gnd (near the Aref pin) in the footprint - the other pads are easy, precisely aligning with these pads is my concern.

Tom

Felix

Tom, in the nick of time - you could simply start from the Moteino schematic and delete all the parts you don't need, and you're left with the aligned headers.

TomWS

That's an interesting approach.  I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Tom

TomWS

Quote from: Felix on October 31, 2014, 08:47:40 AM
Tom, in the nick of time - you could simply start from the Moteino schematic and delete all the parts you don't need, and you're left with the aligned headers.
That seems to work.  I now have a project that gives me a standalone MoteModule schematic and footprint (I'll need to be REAL careful to move these as a group!).  I can build on this for the first project using Moteino as a module.  I still would like a library module, but this is a good start.

I'm a total Eagle newbie and trying to tenderly walk toward my first board without breaking anything...

Thanks.

TomWS

#9
I am attaching an eagle library that provides a Moteino 'module' device.  The device has two package variants, the first provides pads that would accept 0.025" square posts, while the second would accept 0.031" wires and has clearance for routing wires between pins.

Important caveat: I am a TOTAL Eagle newbie so 'buyer beware'.  I've submitted two boards for fabrication using these footprints, but have not yet received the finished PCBs.  Hence, the library is 'untested'!  I've gotten several boards now and haven't had an issue with the library, however, as always with 'freeware', 'buyer beware', this comes with no 'money back guarantees'!

Enjoy,

Tom
UPDATED: 7/14/15 to the latest version of the library.  Includes Moteino R4, Mega, and also Arduino Nano board footprints.

gregcope


jsglazer

Great contribution for the community, thank you!

kobuki

@Felix: would it be it possible to upload the Moteino R5-USB Eagle designs? I'm planning to learn using Eagle in the near future for my own hobby projects, starting with the Moteino as base, and I haven't been able to find it on GitHub.

Felix

@kobuki I'll have to find some time to upload that, there are a bunch of versions already published which should be great "learning" material if that's what you're looking for, have you looked here?

kobuki

Felix, sure I did. However for the cheaper FTDI chips you use in later revisions, you introduced some simple changes to the design (a set of resistors IIRC). I was curious about those as well. I thought I'd ask because you open-sourced the rest, except for this one.