Load of gateway.ino failing in Arduino IDE

Started by cootcraig, March 18, 2014, 01:13:53 PM

cootcraig

Board is set to "Arduino Uno"

sketch log shows:

Binary sketch size: 9,774 bytes (of a 32,256 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding


On first power up, the serial monitor showed output consistent
with the node sketch.  I need to load the gateway sketch to test.

Any thoughts.  I did see one post where the the IDE failed and avrdude
directly worked.

One complication is that ttyUSB0 is not consistently being set up
when I plug the cable in.  This is on a notebook computer
running a recent Ubuntu.  The IDE won't let me load the sketch
unless it sees /dev/ttyUSB0.

cootcraig

Quote from: cootcraig on March 18, 2014, 01:13:53 PM
Board is set to "Arduino Uno"

sketch log shows:

Binary sketch size: 9,774 bytes (of a 32,256 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

This on the MoteinoUSB I just received.

cootcraig

Quote from: cootcraig on March 18, 2014, 01:13:53 PM
Board is set to "Arduino Uno"

sketch log shows:

Binary sketch size: 9,774 bytes (of a 32,256 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding


Another try :

Binary sketch size: 9,774 bytes (of a 32,256 byte maximum)

avrdude: stk500_paged_load(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x10, resp=0x69
avrdude: stk500_cmd(): programmer is out of sync

Felix

Could you try on a windows machine with IDE 1.5?

cootcraig

Quote from: Felix on March 18, 2014, 02:42:41 PM
Could you try on a windows machine with IDE 1.5?

OK.  My wife has a windows notebook, I'll try on that.

cootcraig

Quote from: Felix on March 18, 2014, 02:42:41 PM
Could you try on a windows machine with IDE 1.5?

Moteino with Adafruit FTDI Friend
Loading the USB driver takes a long time, but works.
Loading a sketch works

MoteinoUSB
USB driver fails.

Felix

Can you visually inspect the pins of the USB connector... there might be a loose connection on those that is only making contact when enough pressure is put on it by the cable. This is a rare event and I'm starting to use better quality USB-mini B connectors. If that's the case you could touch those with a soldering iron to solidifyAlso make sure you got a good USB cable.

cootcraig

Quote from: Felix on March 18, 2014, 03:43:40 PM
Can you visually inspect the pins of the USB connector... there might be a loose connection on those that is only making contact when enough pressure is put on it by the cable.

It does not look loose to me.

Quote from: Felix on March 18, 2014, 03:43:40 PM
Also make sure you got a good USB cable.

I've been using this cable with the FTDI on one Moteino and one Diavolino

Quote from: Felix on March 18, 2014, 03:43:40 PM
If that's the case you could touch those with a soldering iron to solidify

Touched with soldering iron.  Same problem on Windows and Linux.

Linux dmesg output with FTDI on Moteino

[337210.601900] ftdi_sio 3-1:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
[337210.601956] usb 3-1: Detected FT232RL
[337210.601961] usb 3-1: Number of endpoints 2
[337210.601966] usb 3-1: Endpoint 1 MaxPacketSize 64
[337210.601971] usb 3-1: Endpoint 2 MaxPacketSize 64
[337210.601975] usb 3-1: Setting MaxPacketSize 64
[337210.607177] usb 3-1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0
[338713.751665] usb 3-1: USB disconnect, device number 24
[338713.751931] ftdi_sio ttyUSB0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
[338713.751974] ftdi_sio 3-1:1.0: device disconnected


Same cable linux dmesg output with MoteinoUSB

346408.145585] usb 3-1: new full-speed USB device number 32 using xhci_hcd
[346408.145990] usb 3-1: Device not responding to set address.
[346408.349668] usb 3-1: Device not responding to set address.
[346408.553179] usb 3-1: device not accepting address 32, error -71
[346408.553215] hub 3-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1


Felix

#8
Can you please try to update the FTDI drivers, some other users had this issue.
The links are on the product page: http://lowpowerlab.com/shop/moteino-r4-usb
Also please make sure to not use a HUB.
The units all get tested and loaded with a test sketch to test upload and RF send/receive.

cootcraig

Quote from: Felix on March 18, 2014, 08:12:03 PM
The units all get tested and loaded with a test sketch to test upload and RF send/receive.

The node.ino sketch ran when I plugged the MoteinoUSB in.

Quote from: Felix on March 18, 2014, 08:12:03 PM
Also please make sure to not use a HUB.

No hub used, direct cable connect. The cable works with my Adafruit FTDI Friend
on my 2 Moteinos

Quote from: Felix on March 18, 2014, 08:12:03 PM
Can you please try to update the FTDI drivers, some other users had this issue.
The links are on the product page: http://lowpowerlab.com/shop/moteino-r4-usb

Loaded 2.08.30 from this page and it also failed.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

edesio

Hello!

I just received my set of Moteinos and all four where configured as node. I tried to upload the gateway sketch to a Moteino-USB but it failed.

Message is:

avrdude: stk500_paged_load(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x10, resp=0x73
avrdude: stk500_cmd(): programmer is out of sync

Environment is:
Linux antisana 3.4.75ecs #5 SMP Sun Jan 12 16:11:19 BRST 2014 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=precise
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS"
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION="12.04.4 LTS, Precise Pangolin"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu precise (12.04.4 LTS)"
VERSION_ID="12.04"

I had no problem in this environment when uploading to Arduino pro mini and Teensy 3.0

What should I try? My environment is Linux only. It will be difficult to test on a Microsoft Windows machine.

Thanks in advance.

Edesio

Felix

Make sure you're target is set to Arduino UNO.
A windows machine is suprisingly helpful sometimes.

Alia

Hi,
I have a set of moteino r4 usbs and i'm facing a similar issue to that described above: their serial behaviour is not very consistent where sometimes i can upload a sketch without problems and for other moteinos they don't even emulate as a serial device and for some others they appear as /dev/ttyUSBx but i get the programmer is not responding error.

It has been mentioned that an FTDI driver update could solve the issue but I haven't really been able to do that.
I'm not sure whether i need to have the VCP or the D2XX driver. I assumed that I would need the VCP driver just to get going (since this is the one they say is in the linux kernel already) but then on the site there are no installation instructions, and running make in the downloaded directory gives a few errors.
Note: I am using ubuntu 12.04
I'm not sure how to proceed so could anyone please point me to the correct direction?



Felix


Alia

tried to do so on my windows 8 but it didn't work.
I installed the arduino env. and the VCP FTDI driver for windows and I get a "USB device not recognized". + the moteino doesn't appear on the serial port choices from the arduino environment.

There's probably something i'll need to install on windows to get it to work. not sure what it is.