RF69 and RF95/96 compatibility

Started by brolly759, October 11, 2018, 02:42:12 PM

brolly759

Anyone have success interfacing the 2 different chips to talk to each other? RF69 in FSK mode and RF95/96 in FSK mode?

Felix

I have not, although I'd be interested more as a curiosity than a real use case.
Do you actually have a use case, some kind of backwards compatible mode where you cannot service/upgrade existing modules with RFM69?

brolly759

I do have a use-case. There are a lot of "Lora" sensors coming overseas as well as devices that use LoRa modules inside of them which is basically RFM96. If I can get RFM96 then I can port that over to the Lora sensors and now use an RFM69 hub with a "lora" hardware and not need to invent the sensor side.

Felix

Wouldn't you have to share the time between the 2?
How about just using a separate module for RFM69?
That would give you 100% uptime for both.

brolly759

I am re purposing the module (RF96) to only do FSK so I dont need any extra hardware, I can convert a LORA type sensor to FSK RFM69 type network. The only issue I see is there is no encryption on the LoRa. The encryption is coming from the MCU and not the RF stack. So maybe a phase1 is just getting the 2 radio's to talk without encryption.

Felix

There are software libraries to do 2 way hashing/encryption.