Author Topic: LMIC-library and Moteino Mega  (Read 36542 times)

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
Re: LMIC-library and Moteino Mega
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2016, 02:39:52 PM »
Interesting, the 3.3V one is obvioulsy for a decoupler, but a cap on the antenna? Was that some attempt at matching (or using 915MHz modules for 868MHz or something)?
I put a cap pad cause that felt appropriate in Eagle. Could be used with a cap or inductor for matching I guess. I never used these myself, someone asked for these pads a while back.

perky

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2016, 02:54:50 PM »
I put a cap pad cause that felt appropriate in Eagle. Could be used with a cap or inductor for matching I guess. I never used these myself, someone asked for these pads a while back.
OK. I suppose one possible use for that footprint might be to fit a 50R load resistor and not fit the antenna, that'll protect the output during development. Also the small stub would radiate a very little possibly simulating a distant transmitter.

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2016, 03:06:27 PM »
@perky, great ideas. I like the distant node one especially.
With the 50R I could use a pogo pin to a permanently fixed 50R but I guess the pogo pin could act as an antenna too perhaps. Not a huge deal though since in my post production testing I do a conditional output test with ATC as well so the output is very brief just enough to ensure there's TX/RX working.

alexsh1

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2016, 05:47:48 AM »
@Felix - outstanding work! I have just place an order for the LMIC Mega

lafleur

• NewMember
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2016, 09:41:13 AM »
Felix

Can you post the schematic in PDF for the Mega-LoRa board...

Thanks

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2016, 08:52:58 AM »
Here:

kreeve

• NewMember
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2018, 03:35:42 PM »
I realize this this is a old thread, but I could use some insights.

I am familiar with LoRa as implemented on the Moteino boards, and have used it successfully.  I now have a Things Network Gateway running and connected.  My next project is to get a node connected. I do not have any experience with Nodes for the Things Network.  I have read through this thread, and I think I understand what I need to do.

#1  solder the three pads to connect the pins from LoRa module for use with LMIC library

#2 use this LMIC Library.   https://github.com/matthijskooijman/arduino-lmic

#3 change settings in the library settings file.

My main question is do I need the EUI-64?  What is it for?

Thanks for any insights.

Is there anything thing that has changed since this thread?
Kevin

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2018, 10:11:47 AM »
My main question is do I need the EUI-64?  What is it for?

Is there anything thing that has changed since this thread?
If you have to ask, my opinion is either you have to ask the LMIC library creators to make sure you have the best accurate answer, or you don't need it.
Nothing has changed from a hardware perspective since this thread has last posted.
The LMIC is simply an option that was added because of the request from that thread, and you can get the parts if you need them directly from LowPowerLab ($1 per unit) rather than buy/ship them from a separate location.

kreeve

• NewMember
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2018, 06:10:57 PM »
I am using this code on a Moteino Mega USB and the code loads and runs.  I see the Loop...   but not getting any value back.  Nothing of the wire.read.
I am basically trying to figure out how to get the Device EUI from the Moteino to use with the LMIC library stuff for the things network.   

You're welcome and thanks for the order.
Below's a sample native code that will read the MAC address from the included Microchip 24AA02E64 EEPROM:

Code: [Select]
#include <Wire.h>         //http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/Wire

void setup(void)
{
  Serial.begin(115200);
  Serial.print("wire init...");
  Wire.begin();
  Serial.println("done");
}

void loop(void)
{
  Serial.println("Loop...");
  readEEPROM_MAC(0x50, 0xF8);  //0x50 is the I2c address, 0xF8 is the memory address where the read-only MAC value is
  delay(2000);
}

void readEEPROM_MAC(int deviceaddress, byte eeaddress)
{
  Wire.beginTransmission(deviceaddress);
  Wire.write(eeaddress); // LSB
  Wire.endTransmission();
  Wire.requestFrom(deviceaddress, 8); //request 8 bytes from the device

while (Wire.available()){
    Serial.print("0x");
    Serial.print(Wire.read(), HEX);
    Serial.print(" ");
  }
  Serial.println();
}

Should produce this output:

wire init...done
Loop...
0x0 0x4 0xA3 0xB 0x0 0x19 0x7F 0xB7

The bold part is the MICROCHIP identifier (constant), the italic part is the variable part (unique with each chip).

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2018, 08:30:05 AM »
I am using this code on a Moteino Mega USB and the code loads and runs.  I see the Loop...   but not getting any value back.  Nothing of the wire.read.
I am basically trying to figure out how to get the Device EUI from the Moteino to use with the LMIC library stuff for the things network.

First make sure to verify the chip is soldered correctly along with the I2C pullups (4.7k SMD chip resistors provided with the LMIC option). If you show me a photo of the board/setup I can see if anything looks out of order.
The example code you quoted should work just fine. Once that works, then you are probably ready to use it with the ThingsNetwork (not sure how that is done though).

JohnO

• NewMember
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2018, 06:17:48 AM »
Thank you for your work Felix. I would like to try to build a Moteino MEGA USB with the LMIC chip. Are there any Eagle files for the MEGA USB with LMIC?

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2018, 02:45:51 PM »
Not shared at this time, but you will have a lot of trouble doing this manually, it's a complex board.
Unless maybe if you plan to use a stainless steel stencil and reflow oven?

JohnO

• NewMember
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2018, 12:19:23 PM »
Thank you for the advice Felix. I don't have a reflow oven and don't plan to get into stencils anytime soon.

flok

• NewMember
    • www.vanheusden.com
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2018, 04:18:39 PM »
Please use this https://github.com/matthijskooijman/arduino-lmic updated library.
The DEVEUI must be changed in the user program (example/ttn.ino)
   static const u4_t DEVADDR = 0x03FF0001 ; // <-- Change this address for every node!
and the SX variant in /src/lmic/config.h, which is newerdays set to SX1276 = RFM95W    #define CFG_sx1276_radio 1

Hi,

I've got one of these red lora usb moteino boards - lora-r5-usb it says.

Now when I change all the required addresses (been there before with an other type of board and there I got it right  :)) it starts up with:

Starting                                                                                                   
FAILURE                                                                                                     
/home/folkert/Projects/sketchbook/libraries/arduino-lmic/src/lmic/radio.c:689                               

What should I do?
(I've got 2 of these boards and both give this error)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 04:20:25 PM by flok »

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2018, 06:40:34 PM »
Maybe ask whoever made the lmic library why this would happen?