WeatherShield + supercapacitor + tiny solar cell

Started by HeneryH, October 10, 2017, 04:55:51 PM

HeneryH

https://lowpowerlab.com/2017/09/15/weathershield-supercapacitor-tiny-solar-cell/

Felix,  I didn't see a way to discuss your blog post so I am posting here.

I'm confused by the voltage graph

I understand the gradual ramp down as the battery is consumed during darkness, but why such a short almost instant ramp back up to full charge?  Shouldn't the voltage either ramp up or maintain full during the daylight hours?

Felix

I think it might be how the sun angle hits my house siding where this glass block is. There's a peak during the morning hours. Then the sun moves above the house and that side is still brightly lit but not direct sunlight.
I can assure you this is not made up data :D
Notice towards the beginning there are 2 instances of the slope going down across 2-3 days. Thats when it was very cloudy/overcast and the cell just didnt provide much charging current.

HeneryH

#2
I hot-gun glued the capacitor directly onto the back of the solar cell and soldered the diode and cap in-place.









The three parts I used.  Total rookie guesses on these parts, I'll post results after a full day and night of statistics are collected.


SuperCap - $6.63 ea - https://www.mouser.com/productdetail/581-scmt32c755mrba0


Solar Cell - $1.99 ea - https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/seeed-technology-co-ltd/313070004/1597-1417-ND/5488049


Schottky Diode - $0.41 - https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/on-semiconductor/1N5819/1N5819FSCT-ND/965482

HeneryH

#3
My LED kitchen lights did not seem to be the right frequency to generate electricity on my solar cells but sunlight (even cloud covered) seems to charge it.

I'll paste a full 24 hr cycle tomorrow. Update - overnight and morning recharge in westerly side of the house to only indirect sunlight until afternoon.


HeneryH

That draw down graph above is totally not representative of normal ops.  Maybe because it was the first charge and I didn't get a full charge on it.

Actual results are more promising than I hoped.  :-)  After a full day of charge (cloudy winter day) the moteino charged to 4.91v but then drew down the supercap so slowly that I thought something was wrong with the data recording function.  The voltage just wouldn't come off of the full 4.91v.

I actually had to put the units in the dark basement for nearly a full day to force the supercap to start to discharge. I forget what time I put it into the dark room but it was about a full day and it only dropped to 4.57v.  Now that I know what to expect I can get more scientific data.

Kilo95

My weather station has been outside for the last 3 weeks and has never recorded a voltage below 5.01v. It stays there all the time. Super low power consumption

HeneryH

So one take-away here is...   don't even bother thinking about doubling up on 7.5F SuperCaps.  In fact, opposite, it would be interesting to see how low you could go before even noticing a change.

Kilo95

It would be interesting. It's gotten down to -9 deg Fahrenheit here once last week. Otherwise teens to 20s Fahrenheit. It'd have killed alkalines I feel pretty sure. Very impressed with Felix's supercap/solar panel idea

Felix

Quote from: Kilo95 on December 19, 2017, 10:02:12 PM
It'd have killed alkalines I feel pretty sure.
Actually I've used alkalines in the freezing cold and they worked fine. Maybe depends on their quality too.

Kilo95

could be maybe i had a bad batch. the supercap/solar panel definitely works well.