Author Topic: Remote Control 4 Channel  (Read 15468 times)

2cvman

• NewMember
Remote Control 4 Channel
« on: October 16, 2015, 05:58:08 AM »
Hi All,

Have a requirement for a 4 channel TX and Rx,to operate some 12 volt relays (Momentary) via push buttons.

With a Montenio is it possible to operate  2 buttons in Parallel such that the 2 relays operate at the same time, but still allow individual operation.

Cheers
Peter
ps An example sketch to start would be great!

TomWS

Re: Remote Control 4 Channel
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 08:09:31 AM »
Hi All,

Have a requirement for a 4 channel TX and Rx,to operate some 12 volt relays (Momentary) via push buttons.

With a Montenio is it possible to operate  2 buttons in Parallel such that the 2 relays operate at the same time, but still allow individual operation.

Cheers
Peter
ps An example sketch to start would be great!
Peter, I am not sure I understand your application.

When you say "4 Channel" do you mean 4 relays on a single end point or 4 end points, each with their own relay?

Are the buttons located elsewhere and 'connected' via an RF link to the end point(s) or are the switches located at the single end point and there is no RF link?

How much current do the 12V relays require to operate? 

Do you have a schematic of your setup?

Tom

2cvman

• NewMember
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 09:59:39 AM »
Hi Tom,
Thanks for the reply.
Pictures speak a 1000 words.
So Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Channel-RF-Wireless-Transmitter-Remote-Control-315MHz-/221094924744?hash=item337a48d1c8
These only operate one button at a time, If I press two keys, tx does not work. I need to be able to activate 2 relays at the same time, but also allow each relay to be independant.
Cheers
Peter

TomWS

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 11:53:10 AM »
One more clarfication on what you want:  Do you want a set of Moteino functions to emulate the product you referenced (wth the addtional feature of handling more than one button at a time) OR do you want a Moteino to be able to control this particular product?

The first case is easy, the second case requires a whole lot of learning what the protocol is, etc...
Tom

kobuki

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 03:04:13 PM »
Hmm, there are plenty of similar boards. Tom is absolutely right in what he said and I think you'd been better off with a simple relay module that's controllable via 5/3.3V on several input pins or so. Now you have a decoder IC on the relay board that controls the relays. You need to completely disable it somehow for a mote to control it, which is perfectly doable but a lot more hacky. Hacking into the (probably OOK) radio protocol might not help since as you say only one button press is recognised on the board at a time. Also make sure 315 MHz is legal where you live...

TomWS

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 06:05:21 PM »
Hmm, there are plenty of similar boards. Tom is absolutely right in what he said and I think you'd been better off with a simple relay module that's controllable via 5/3.3V on several input pins or so. Now you have a decoder IC on the relay board that controls the relays. You need to completely disable it somehow for a mote to control it, which is perfectly doable but a lot more hacky. Hacking into the (probably OOK) radio protocol might not help since as you say only one button press is recognised on the board at a time. Also make sure 315 MHz is legal where you live...
Well, actually, I was hoping OP wanted to do a complete Moteino solution because it would be tremendously easier to customize.  I was thinking something like this for the relays: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KTEN3TM, a Moteino driving it (the board can be driven directly from a 3.3V device, it has transistor buffers and is optosolated, for some odd reason).

And on the keyfob end, he can buy the keyfob version of the Tino.  A bit of SMOP and he's good to go!

Tom

kobuki

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 06:15:18 PM »
Well, actually, I was hoping OP wanted to do a complete Moteino solution because it would be tremendously easier to customize.  I was thinking something like this for the relays: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KTEN3TM, a Moteino driving it (the board can be driven directly from a 3.3V device, it has transistor buffers and is optosolated, for some odd reason).

And on the keyfob end, he can buy the keyfob version of the Tino.  A bit of SMOP and he's good to go!

What I miss from most of these boards is actually opto-isolation ;) It's safe for switching HVAC loads. In some appliances, it's a legal requirement here.

Oh, and wait, we'll have Tinos in the foreseeable future? And even a keyfob version! :)

TomWS

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 06:27:23 PM »
Oh, and wait, we'll have Tinos in the foreseeable future? And even a keyfob version! :)
Gosh, I hope I didn't speak out of turn here...  But if there was one, it would have OTA so you probably wouldn't be interested...  ;D

Tom

kobuki

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 06:33:04 PM »
No way, I already sold myself as one of his first customers! And I most ptobably will be. So please include me in the early beta tester group ;)

I do need OTA, and if I grit my teeth, I can live with all the quirks his solution proposes ;)

TomWS

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 07:01:03 PM »
...I can live with all the quirks his solution proposes ;)
"Quirks"?  Oh No.  With Joe they are all feechurs! 

Seriously, Tino would be a perfect key fob platform.  Just need someone to make it.  If anyone knows of an existing fob-like keypad, it would be trivial to make one. 

Tom

2cvman

• NewMember
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 04:31:02 AM »
Hi Guys,

I have the ebay (433Mhz) bits working OK, controls the solenoid valves in a Citroen suspension system   Pump  + 2 valves up + 2 valves down. (With a set at the Front and a set the Rear)   
See video
People have cracked the coding for the ebay tx/rx, but I think that it still only "simplex".
@Tom Clarification
Would like to use a  pair of Montenio + code! 
Have built Arduino projects, GPS dog tracker, Weather Station etc, mostly at a Cut And Paste of other peoples code.
So an example of code  send a "packet" of info that can be decoded at the RX end to operate the relays? If that makes sense.
Cheers
Peter

Did 'O' level Egg Lang 5 times!   

TomWS

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 09:30:13 AM »
@Tom Clarification
Would like to use a  pair of Montenio + code! 
Have built Arduino projects, GPS dog tracker, Weather Station etc, mostly at a Cut And Paste of other peoples code.
So an example of code  send a "packet" of info that can be decoded at the RX end to operate the relays? If that makes sense.
The RFM69 library includes two examples, Struct_send and Struct_receive that should work for you if you redefine the 'payload' structure to match your switch coding.
You can remove most of the code from the examples as they are largely fluff to demonstrate different things you 'could' do.
Did 'O' level Egg Lang 5 times!   
I have no idea what an Egg Lang is.  Goggling yielded lots of info about Egg Laying   ;D

Tom

2cvman

• NewMember
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 09:56:48 AM »
@Tom,
Thanks for the pointers...

@Egg Lang...should have read as "Eng. Lang."

UK exam in "English Language" at age of 15/16 yrs,

LaneF

• NewMember
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 02:07:13 PM »

I'm looking to run two Bosch Whole House Fans in my attic moving 3200 CFMs of air and I was wonder your thoughts on this relay with the Opto-Isolators.  I'm not a big fan of sparking circuits and attic fires.

http://www.amazon.com/Level-Trigger-Opto-isolator-Power-Module/dp/B00O9YPMC4/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1445123964&sr=1-2&keywords=dc+5v+relay+opto+isolator

I know there are better Digital Outputs than others to avoid conflicts.  Which two outputs should I put the DigitalWrite too?  D3 & D4?

Thanks for your input -

Lane F

kobuki

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2015, 02:15:34 PM »
What about this as a complete solution? :)

Anyway, for DO you can use any pin not used for the radio or the LED. See here.