Add BME280 to MotionMote

Started by MojaveTom, March 05, 2020, 06:32:02 PM

MojaveTom

I'm planning to replace the Z-Wave room environment sensors in my home with MotionMote with BME280.  This combination will give me the information I would like.

Unfortunately, Felix is out of MotionMote with BME280, so I bought some BME280 from Mouser and would like to add them to MotionMotes that don't have them.  I noticed that the MotionMote R3 BME280 pads have some solder build up.  I mistakenly thought that if I put flux on the pads and position a BME280 carefully, then heat with a hot air gun, that I could solder the BME280 onto the board.  That didn't work.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this?

Felix

Well it's going to be tricky for sure, I would not learn SMD soldering on a BME280.
It's however doable.
Hot air is your best bet and flux is your friend in this case.

FWIW -since I made the MotionMotes I changed the BME280 pads to be a little longer which makes soldering them or rework much easier.

MojaveTom

Here's my latest plan.

Start with new MotionMote board.
Clean any solder off the BME280 pads.
Put a tiny dab of solder paste on the pads.
Carefully place the new 280 on the board.
Heat the whole board on an electric hot plate to 80%? of the melting point of the solder used to solder the existing components.
Heat the 280 with hot air till the solder melts.

So questions:
Is this a reasonable approach?
If so, to what temperature do I set the hot plate?
How do I know when the 280 is properly soldered?

Thanks.

Tom

MojaveTom

Felix,

What solder do you use when you make the boards?  I'm trying to figure out a temperature for adding the BME280.

Thanks,
Tom

LukaQ

Don't complicate too much, use what you have or what you can get. Reflow until soldered

Felix

For SMD rework of this kind, hot air, liquid flux and a lot of care.

MojaveTom

I found a "low temperature" stable solder paste:  https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/chip-quik-inc/TS391LT/TS391LT-ND/7802220.  I used an Xacto knife and a microscope to put the paste on the BME280 pads, then carefully placed the BME.  Heated till the solder melted on a hot plate.  Amazingly, it seems to work.

My plan is to make a stencil out of sheet protector plastic, and a guide for placing the BME.  The stencil is going to be a lot of careful Xacto knife cutting.  The placement guide is to avoid squishing the BME all around when placing it.