Upstart not starting automatically [fixed]

Started by Lensdigital, December 17, 2015, 10:25:15 AM

Lensdigital

I have a question. On my RPi gateway doesn't seem to start after reboot. It seems like "upstart" is not working even tho I installed it. Has anyone seen these issues? I can manually start script with "sudo start gateway" but it just doesn't run at startup. Nothing in the gateway.sys.log after reboot...

Felix

#1
Not really sure, it should work if you have wheezy and followed the install steps or use my image.

syrinxtech

I'm also having the same problem.  I can manually start the gateway using the "sudo start gateway" and everything runs OK.  If I just boot up the gateway doesn't start.  I have checked the gateway.conf file about 50 times and the permissions are correct.

Not sure what else to try.

Felix

Quote from: syrinxtech on December 30, 2015, 10:32:17 AM
I'm also having the same problem.  I can manually start the gateway using the "sudo start gateway" and everything runs OK.  If I just boot up the gateway doesn't start.  I have checked the gateway.conf file about 50 times and the permissions are correct.

Not sure what else to try.
I take that you manually installed everything rather than using the sample image.
What linux distribution are you using?

syrinxtech

Quote from: Felix on December 30, 2015, 12:02:46 PM
Quote from: syrinxtech on December 30, 2015, 10:32:17 AM
I'm also having the same problem.  I can manually start the gateway using the "sudo start gateway" and everything runs OK.  If I just boot up the gateway doesn't start.  I have checked the gateway.conf file about 50 times and the permissions are correct.

Not sure what else to try.
I take that you manually installed everything rather than using the sample image.
What linux distribution are you using?

Correct, Raspbian Wheezy 2015-05-05

Felix

My apologies, I realize I failed to update the upstart .conf script in the guide.
The differences are minor but the effects are major, namely:

start on startup
stop on shutdown


needs to be updated to:

start on runlevel [2345]
stop on runlevel [016]


The problem was that the script was attempting to start the app too early in the boot sequence, when certain resources were not available.
So please revisit the app setup page and update the whole script since there are other minor changes.
Please confirm it now works.

syrinxtech

Quote from: Felix on December 30, 2015, 02:00:06 PM
My apologies, I realize I failed to update the upstart .conf script in the guide.
The differences are minor but the effects are major, namely:

start on startup
stop on shutdown


needs to be updated to:

start on runlevel [2345]
stop on runlevel [016]


The problem was that the script was attempting to start the app too early in the boot sequence, when certain resources were not available.
So please revisit the app setup page and update the whole script since there are other minor changes.
Please confirm it now works.

Worked like a charm....thanks again for the quick response.

Lensdigital

Awesome!!! Works for me too :)  Thanks a lot Felix!