Author Topic: Strange corruption in a metric being displayed.  (Read 149 times)

HeneryH

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 219
Strange corruption in a metric being displayed.
« on: June 10, 2019, 12:56:51 PM »
I added a Dallas Temp sensor onto my Mote that also has the BME.  When I read the values, this is what I get

Note 'Z' is my new test metric.  Note that the screen shots were at slightly different times so the temp has changed over the course of capturing data below.

At the Mote serial port.
Code: [Select]
BAT:4.86v F:79.61 Z:81.5 H:40.45 P:29.73 (packet length:40)

In the serial console of the Pi
Code: [Select]
[06-10-19_12:50:08.708] [LOG]    >: [40] BAT:4.86v F:79.61 Z:80.6 H:40.17 P:29.73   [RSSI:-26][ACK-sent]
[06-10-19_12:50:08.712] [LOG]    post: /home/pi/gateway/data/db/0040_V.bin[1560185408,4.86]

But this is what I get in my display:


I've tried varying the number of decimal places but no change.  I've tried jamming a null at the end of the string to make sure it was terminated.

Here is my new metric definition for Z which is an exact copy of 'F' except renamed to 'Z'
Code: [Select]
exports.metrics = {
  Z : { name:'Z', regexp:/\bZ\:(-?\d+\.\d+)\b/i, value:'', duplicateInterval:3600, unit:'', pin:1, graph:1, graphValSuff
fix:'Z', graphOptions:{ legendLbl:'Temperature', lines: { lineWidth:1 } }},

};

Any advice?
Thanks
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 01:09:49 PM by HeneryH »

HeneryH

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 219
Re: Strange corruption in a metric being displayed.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 12:19:30 PM »
Here are the logs all for the same data point...

Metric "Z" is the new metric I temporarily created to help debug.

From the Serial Port of the Mote
Code: [Select]
Requesting temperatures...DONE
Temp C: 23.50 Temp F: 74.30
BAT:4.86v F:75.61 Z:74.30 H:49.12 P:29.90 (packet length:41)

From the Gateway Log
Code: [Select]
[06-12-19_12:13:22.836] [LOG]    >: [40] BAT:4.86v F:75.61 Z:74.30 H:49.12 P:29.90   [RSSI:-27][ACK-sent]
[06-12-19_12:13:22.858] [LOG]    post: /home/pi/gateway/data/db/0040_V.bin[1560356002,4.86]
[06-12-19_12:13:22.864] [LOG]    post: /home/pi/gateway/data/db/0040_F.bin[1560356002,75.61]
[06-12-19_12:13:22.870] [LOG]    post: /home/pi/gateway/data/db/0040_Z.bin[1560356002,74.3]
[06-12-19_12:13:22.873] [LOG]    post: /home/pi/gateway/data/db/0040_H.bin[1560356002,49.12]
[06-12-19_12:13:22.876] [LOG]    post: /home/pi/gateway/data/db/0040_RSSI.bin[1560356002,-27]
[06-12-19_12:13:22.883] [LOG]       [40] DB-Insert new _id:40

But this displays:

HeneryH

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 219
Re: Strange corruption in a metric being displayed.
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 12:54:52 PM »
Very strange.  When I copy the metric definition from the Github web page metrics file into my user metric file, the corruption extra character formatting shows up.

When I copy the same line from vi on the pi, then it looks OK.

Something about unicode blah blah.  When I get extra time I may look into this further.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18065510/getting-a-%C3%82-character-before-the-degree-symbol
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 12:56:47 PM by HeneryH »