Author Topic: sendwithretry to gateway fails after upgrade to v9 [solved]  (Read 4436 times)

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
Re: sendwithretry to gateway fails after upgrade to gateway 9
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2019, 07:58:23 PM »
What exactly is Remotenumber sketch?
Anyway sounds like the SwitchMote is loaded with the right sketch (or else the LEDs would be out of order if you used an older sketch on R3).

You do not need to change ANYTHING in the SwitchMote sketch, for it to work.

You indicated that you configured that/those R3 SwitchMotes via Putty as described on this page. The settings absolutely have to match your Gateway settings. ID needs to be unique. The HW/HCW setting is crucial. Once restarted and settings are permanent, that SwitchMote is ready to talk to your Gateway, which also needs the correct PiGateway sketch - and matching settings (this time in the sketch itself).

I thought you also indicated that other motes are transmitting data to your Gateway, so the only questionable one was the new SwitchMote.

This, like 99.9% of the world's engineering problems, warrants a divide-et-impera approach. Isolate what works, and break down what doesn't, then chew at the bits that don't work.

Maybe this makes you feel better ... A few days ago I had a family friend over to hook him up with a Switchmote and a Gateway so he could automate his lights, soldered the SM and walked him through everything and guess what - it took me several tries to get everything right, from the gateway settings, to getting the right sketch, the right bauds for putty, etc etc. I must have looked like a noob sitting there wondering why the SM doesn't show up. And you'd think I'm the creator of all this ... yeah  :-X

loseymark

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2019, 08:15:11 PM »
OK, I went through everything again and found the gateway sketch did not have high power commented out SHEESH.
I took out all my debug changes and it is working fine except for one thing.

httpendpoint does not activate the relays or the button state on the switchmote. Should it? I'll look into the code to see if I can figure something out, but if you know for sure whether it should or shouldn't, please let me know.

I'm hoping it does, because this will let me integrate switchmote with other voice activation work I have done.

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2019, 09:39:32 AM »
OK, I went through everything again and found the gateway sketch did not have high power commented out SHEESH.
SHEESH indeed  ;D
We will make this overlook the HopeRF grand prize of confusion :)
But don't feel bad, it happens more often than you think ;)

The SwitchMote does NOT work with HTTPENDPOINT at all. You simply remove that node and recreate it by pressing the buttons on the switchMote, then picking the SwitchMote (ie "Light Switch") type from the node TYPE dropdown.

loseymark

Re: sendwithretry to gateway fails after upgrade to v9 [solved]
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2019, 04:24:36 PM »
I added logic to call sendMessageToNode in the httpEndPoint function if this is an existing node switchmote and the metric regexp includes 'btn'. It activates the relay and button on the switchmote and correctly updates the node on the gateway.

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2019, 04:47:07 PM »
Ok, but I'm at a loss as to how httpEndPoint has anything to do with a radio based SwitchMote.

loseymark

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2019, 09:51:52 PM »
With my logic addition to function httpEndPointHandler(req, res), if I issue https://xxx.xxx.x.xxx/httpendpoint/?id=54&btn1=1 for an existing node and the node type is SwitchMote and the queryStringKey includes 'btn' like so:

Code: [Select]
// after ....
var tokenMatch = metricsDef.metrics[metric].regexp.exec(queryStringKey+':'+queryString[queryStringKey]);
// my code --------------------
if (existingNode.type == 'SwitchMote' && queryStringKey.includes('btn')) smCommands[smCommands.length] = [id, tokenMatch[0]];
//-------------------------------

then I build an array from id and tokenMatch to call sendMessageToNode like so:

// for switchmote only, send the httpendpoint message to to the node to activate relays and buttons
      smCommands.forEach(function(element) {
         sendMessageToNode({nodeId:element[0], action:element[1]});
      });
  and it sends a GTWCMD via radio to the SwitchMote activating the switchMote button(s). I'm not sure how I'm confusing you, but I hope this explains it.

I have this integrated with other voice commands through Google Voice Kit. It's awesome. I really like the on/off at sunset/sunrise too. This is a great feature. I also have other RF Outlets under control and with httpEndPoint calls I can keep the gateway updated after I send RF commands from Raspberry Pi to RFOutlets. I used to do this with a MoteinoUSB for multiple nodes sending serial data to a Moteino which passed it on to MightyHat and updated the gateway. A real hack, but I replaced all that with simple httpendpoint commands. By defining my RF Outlets as virtual nodes, I can also control them with a button control on the gateway. I inserted logic in controlClick to call a python script that sends RF codes to the outlets.

httpEndPoint is just what I needed, thanks.

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2019, 09:48:17 AM »
Oh ok, I see now, so you're just using the HTTPENDPOINT to activate the SwitchMote. Sure, that's very possible.
I think I confused myself - I recalled you said you added the SwitchMote with the "Add Node" button because you were having trouble with it showing up, so once it worked I thought why would you want to use HTTPENDPOINT to operate it since it's a radio mote.

But I get it now, glad that my new HTTP feature found a useful (and interesting) use case for someone!
And yes I love the SMs turning on/off by themselves every day according to sunrise/sunset.

sparky

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2019, 03:00:06 PM »
I love the SMs turning on/off by themselves every day according to sunrise/sunset.

Still waiting for one to be able to use sunrise/sunset for both relays on the same SwitchMote..  :P

loseymark

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2019, 05:21:59 PM »
I wonder if that could be easily implemented by adding an event like switchMoteBothON_PM and switchMoteBothOFF_AM

and then add sendMessageToNode for the additional button like below, then assign the events to the switchmotes desired.

switchMoteBothON_PM : { label:'SwitchMote ON at sunset!', icon:'clock', descr:'Turn this switch ON at sunset', nextSchedule:function(node) { return exports.millisToFutureDate(exports.nextSunriseOrSunset(0), exports.ONEDAY*2); }, scheduledExecute:function(node) { sendMessageToNode({nodeId:node._id, action:'BTN1:1'}); sendMessageToNode({nodeId:node._id, action:'BTN0:1'}); } },
  switchMoteBothOFF_AM : { label:'SwitchMote OFF at sunrise!', icon:'clock', descr:'Turn this switch OFF at sunrise', nextSchedule:function(node) { return exports.millisToFutureDate(exports.nextSunriseOrSunset(1), exports.ONEDAY*2); }, scheduledExecute:function(node) { sendMessageToNode({nodeId:node._id, action:'BTN1:0'}); sendMessageToNode({nodeId:node._id, action:'BTN0:0'});} },

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2019, 05:30:02 PM »
Yes you can add a new event in your user folder, based on the current one, to switch ON another button.
Or copy+modify the existing one to include 2 commands (rather than 2 separate packets).

I want to remind folks that read this:
The given example events functionality are templates for you to customize and come up with interesting new behavior. While this software is free for personal non-profit use, you are encouraged to try code new things on your own - I do not have the time to code everyone's personal requests.
However interesting requests that would benefit most users might be given priority to be implemented in a future release.

sparky

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2019, 08:00:46 PM »
@loseymark

Thank you for the response.  Much appreciated 

edit:  I tried the events you posted but no luck, only BTN1 turned on.
[08-07-19_20:48:20.825] [LOG]    **** RUNNING SCHEDULED EVENT - nodeId:5 event:switchMoteBothON_PM...
[08-07-19_20:48:20.831] [LOG]    NODEACTION: {"nodeId":5,"action":"BTN1:1"}
[08-07-19_20:48:20.832] [LOG]    NODEACTION: {"nodeId":5,"action":"BTN0:1"}
[08-07-19_20:48:20.834] [LOG]    **** SCHEDULING EVENT - nodeId:5 event:switchMoteBothON_PM to run in ~23h58m
[08-07-19_20:48:20.851] [LOG]       [5] DB-Updates:1
[08-07-19_20:48:20.890] [LOG]    >: ACK:OK
[08-07-19_20:48:21.013] [LOG]    >: ACK:NOK
[08-07-19_20:48:22.038] [LOG]    >: [5] BTN1:1NULmptyString   [RSSI:-71][ACK-sent]
[08-07-19_20:48:22.041] [LOG]    post: /home/pi/gateway/data/db/0005_B1.bin[1565225302,1]
[08-07-19_20:48:22.043] [LOG]    post: /home/pi/gateway/data/db/0005_RSSI.bin[1565225302,-71]
[08-07-19_20:48:22.052] [LOG]       [5] DB-Updates:1

@Felix

I did try adding an event as you stated and when it didn't work I posted about it and even included a video showing you it didn't work. 

I don't expect you to take a lot of time out of your busy day to figure this out when nobody else would benefit but it just amazes me that nobody has ever ran into a situation where they needed to control both relays on a single SwithMote at the same time.  Maybe I should have only purchased the single relay model. 

https://lowpowerlab.com/forum/pi-gateway/switchmote-btn0-btn1-on-at-the-same-time/msg21417/#msg21417

loseymark

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2019, 08:15:57 PM »
maybe a delay is needed between the two sendMessageToNode executions

ssmall

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2019, 09:32:49 PM »
@Sparky

You should check your switchmote sketch and determine if debugging is enabled.  Make sure the following line in the sketch is commented out:

#define SERIAL_EN             //comment this out when deploying to an installed SM to save a few KB of sketch size

sparky

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2019, 10:15:56 PM »
@loseymark

Thanks

@ssmall

Here is the sketch I'm currently using with no changes.  Thanks for the response

https://github.com/LowPowerLab/RFM69/blob/master/Examples/SwitchMote/SwitchMoteR2.ino

loseymark

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2019, 09:31:32 PM »
It took a little research on how to pass values to setTimeout, but the event definitions below just worked for me. If you try to do back to back sendMessageToNode calls, the second one will fail (moteino/radio busy?). This approach uses setTimeout to schedule action BTN0:1 and BTN0:0  one second after the sendMessageToNode for BTN1. Kind of a hack, but it worked.

switchMoteBothON_PM : { label:'SwitchMote both ON at sunset!', icon:'clock', descr:'Turn both switches ON at sunset', nextSchedule:function(node) { return exports.millisToFutureDate(exports.nextSunriseOrSunset(0), exports.ONEDAY*2); }, scheduledExecute:function(node) { var nID = node._id; setTimeout(function() { sendMessageToNode({nodeId:nID, action:'BTN0:1'}); },1000, nID); sendMessageToNode({nodeId:node._id, action:'BTN1:1'}); } },
  switchMoteBothOFF_AM : { label:'SwitchMote both OFF at sunrise!', icon:'clock', descr:'Turn both switches OFF at sunrise', nextSchedule:function(node) { return exports.millisToFutureDate(exports.nextSunriseOrSunset(1), exports.ONEDAY*2); }, scheduledExecute:function(node) {var nID = node._id; setTimeout(function() { sendMessageToNode({nodeId:nID, action:'BTN0:0'}); },1000, nID); sendMessageToNode({nodeId:node._id, action:'BTN1:0'}); } },