Pi Gateway sharing with PiHole Server

Started by knotquiteawake, September 04, 2018, 11:44:43 AM

knotquiteawake

I already have PiHole installed on my RaspberryPi3 (If you don't know about this it basically functions as a network wide ad blocker for your enter home network).  I followed the instructions for installation of the Pi Gateway but after installation going to localhost or my IP address from the browser just takes me to my pihole holding/default page (a static logo) (not the actual dashboard).
Has anyone installed the PiGateway on a Pi that is hosting multiple other sites as well?

Felix

You can go in the NGINX config and change the ports of NGINX etc to make it publish http and https to non-standard ports.

knotquiteawake

Is this the file that is located in /etc/nginx/sites-available/default ?
if so i changed it from port 80 and 443 to 8085 and 8086.  But when i navigate to my server at http://xx.xx.xx.xx:8085 it just redirects back to https://xx.xx.xx.xx
I have done very little web administration in linux before so I'm sure there must be something else going on.
Any ideas?

Felix

With the PiHole it sounds like you probably have another web server that you need to also configure so it doesn't do redirects etc.

knotquiteawake

Quote from: Felix on September 06, 2018, 09:50:58 AM
With the PiHole it sounds like you probably have another web server that you need to also configure so it doesn't do redirects etc.

I think you're right. I've got a Pi2 sitting on a shelf that I will probably use for the gateway instead.  Leave the pihole and MQTT broker alone where they are.

Felix

I think that's going to be easier if you have an extra Pi.
And if you want external access to the Gateway-Pi you can route ports external 80/433 to your PiHole, and some other ports to the Gateway-Pi.