How well do you suppose the Pi Gateway might run on a Pi Zero?

Started by WhiteHare, November 26, 2015, 08:01:15 PM

WhiteHare

The Pi Zero is so inexpensive it opens the possibility of deploying lots of them instead of just one of them.

Felix

Honestly I have to say this is the first time I hear about it. Specs are similar to a regular Pi and it has the HAT header which is great. One (on the go?) USB would allow wifi and the price is good :)
Sorry to not really answer the question because I cannot right now .. but can I guess that it should work just as well :P ?

TomWS

I think with zero network interface it's aptly named (for Gateway application anyway).  You'd need a powered hub with full sized USB connectors to power a WiFi or Ethernet interface over the USB port.

Tom

HeneryH

Deploying many of them is really a different use-case than the gateway.

The user-need that the gateway is solving is providing a control point to expose the moteino network to the outside world and maintain some state information about the system.

Distributing this task over multiple nodes doesn't really help as far as I can tell.

WhiteHare

Quote from: TomWS on November 26, 2015, 11:40:08 PM
I think with zero network interface it's aptly named (for Gateway application anyway).  You'd need a powered hub with full sized USB connectors to power a WiFi or Ethernet interface over the USB port.

Tom

I'm no fan of micro USB either.  However, for $0.45 (delivered) maybe this would fix the mismatch from using a female micro usb on the Pi Zero board:  http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Black-USB-2-0-Female-to-Micro-USB-5-Pin-Male-Plug-OTG-Adapter-Converter/32375991202.html?spm=2114.031010208.3.49.FOc4lv&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_2_79_78_77_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_7

Whether a wifi dongle needs to be externally powered or not on the Raspberry Pi I couldn't say.

jra

See http://makezine.com/2015/11/28/chip-vs-pi-zero/ for a comparison between the Pi Zero and the C.H.I.P.  My take is the C.H.I.P. offers a little more complete out of the box experience but to be honest I think it will be at least a couple of months before either of these will have been sold in sufficient quantity to know what their real capabilities are.  Presumably the Pi Zero has a head start on infrastructure based on compatability with the existing Pi's.

WhiteHare

Quote from: jra on November 30, 2015, 11:28:06 AM
See http://makezine.com/2015/11/28/chip-vs-pi-zero/ for a comparison between the Pi Zero and the C.H.I.P.  My take is the C.H.I.P. offers a little more complete out of the box experience but to be honest I think it will be at least a couple of months before either of these will have been sold in sufficient quantity to know what their real capabilities are.  Presumably the Pi Zero has a head start on infrastructure based on compatability with the existing Pi's.

Thanks!  Good article.   I like the C.H.I.P. tradeoffs better, provided it gets adequate software support.