After installation what I have to do? [solved]

Started by andromeda, May 09, 2015, 05:46:51 PM

Felix

Well it's nice when it works huh!
Here's what's happening .. You cannot open a serial terminal in 2 places. You can either look at it with minicom or have it open by the gateway.js nodeJS script. In windows it's actually locked by the first app that opens it, the other can't even open it. Im a bit surprised you can "steal" it temporarily in Linux, but maybe that has its advantages.
Anyway, I think you now got it to work :)

Drrehak

thanks Felix,
I am not using minisom when getting my error in the screenshot.   I am trying to investigate why my node is not visible in gateway interface. 

Felix

Have you followed the gateway install guide?
Is your serial port enabled?

Drrehak

I used the stack image. I think most of the install has proven successful, since I can:
1. open gateway from web browser
2. view communicating node at serial using minicom.  (this proves that serial port is enabled)

I am getting an error message when manually starting node gateway.js


Felix

That's because it's already running :)
Use this to see what other node processes are active:
ps aux | grep node

Drrehak

Quote from: Felix on September 21, 2015, 11:17:42 PM
That's because it's already running :)
Use this to see what other node processes are active:
ps aux | grep node

hmm.  not sure how to decipher output.  pasted below.  so do I have 2 running?

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ps aux | grep node
root      1320  0.0  0.5   3608  2240 ?        Ss   Sep21   0:00 sudo -u pi /opt/node/bin/node /home/pi/moteino/gateway.js
pi        1326  3.7 15.0 108576 66972 ?        Sl   Sep21   1:52 /opt/node/bin/node /home/pi/moteino/gateway.js
pi        1387  0.0  0.4   3552  1800 pts/0    S+   00:04   0:00 grep --color=auto node


Felix

No. Just one.
But I don't understand what is the real problem, if any?
The script is running, you can load it in the browser, everything seems to work as expected, why would you run it manually again?

Drrehak

i'm following the guide and other troubleshooting ideas in this thread.  One of the steps was to make sure that gateway.js is running by manually starting.  I was confused at the error output.

So, I am still troubleshooting the problem which is my node is not visible in the browser.   

Felix

Is your serial connection confirmed to work?
What is the sketch you are running on the end node and on the gateway moteinos?
What is your packet message looking like?
What do you expect to show up?

Drrehak

QuoteIs your serial connection confirmed to work?
is using minicom adequate?  if so, yes.

QuoteWhat is the sketch you are running on the end node and on the gateway moteinos?
I am running the sketches Node and Gateway (with freq changed to my freq, and commenting out for RF69HW)

QuoteWhat is your packet message looking like?
What do you expect to show up?
I was expecting to see a visible Node in the browser.  and some variation of the increasing A, AB, ABC, ect.

Felix

Node and Gateway are not the proper sketched, they are purely only used for debugging and testing, not for the Moteino Gateway.
The metrics defined in metrics.js will not match anythink like "ABC..." which is meaningless.
The proper MoteinoGateway sketch is here.
You can try sending dummy data, from instance from this random number sender node sketch that sends random fahrenheit data.

Drrehak

thank you!  it works!  sorry, I was confused that Gateway and Node sketches would also work.