Author Topic: moteino mega and ESP8266 WiFi shield  (Read 2498 times)

XimengJ

• NewMember
moteino mega and ESP8266 WiFi shield
« on: March 21, 2016, 06:36:54 PM »
Hey guys,
Has anyone ever used a ESP8266 WiFi shield ( https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13287) and got it work with a moteino mega? I followed the instructions in the link, got the AT Arduino library and the demo code.  The connections that I did are as follows:

ESP8266                  Moteino Mega
RESET------------------RST
5V-----------------------vin
GND---------------------GND (got the two boards powered up successfully)

9-SW_RX---------------1
8-SW_TX---------------0
1-HW_RX---------------9
0-JW_TX----------------8     

Those are only connections I did and it shows no error during the uploading process. However, when I open the serial monitor, it says "error talking to ESP8266. Error:0 looping forever". It seems they don't communicate with each other, I tried hard to debug it but still made no difference.

Also, I googled a lot but found nothing, since most cases use arduino uno instead of Moteino Mega.

Any suggestions are appreciated!!

jra

Re: moteino mega and ESP8266 WiFi shield
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 10:16:39 AM »
Haven't used the ESP8266 shield.  To be honest, I think you would be better off programming the ESP8266 as an arduino instead of using the AT library because it allows you to better take advantage of the ESP8266 resources.  The ESP8266 and the Moteino can communicate with one another via serial or I2C (ESP8266 has to be the master), see http://tech.scargill.net/easytransfer-for-esp8266/ for an I2C example using the EasyTransfer library.

ibailey47

• NewMember
Re: moteino mega and ESP8266 WiFi shield
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 11:00:25 AM »
I am also working with XimangJ on this project, and we have been able to monitor the communication to and from the wifi shield and its correctly receiving the AT commands and sending back the proper reply, (confirmed through a serial communication hardware device) and for some reason its Moteino Mega is not correctly interpreting the communication.

These are the captures monitoring the RX and TX ports on the shield confirming that we have correct communication.

I know its possible to make this work, and I was wondering if its maybe an issue with the software serial library and possible issues between the code provided.

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 11:01:59 AM by ibailey47 »