RFM69 on other arduino - OshPark

Started by jclark58, January 09, 2015, 07:48:26 PM

jclark58

I have a few other varieties of arduino lying around and it occurred to me that these could be gainfully employed to chat with motinos by the addition of the RFM69 daughter board.  What the the interface requirements?

TomWS

Quote from: jclark58 on January 09, 2015, 07:48:26 PM
I have a few other varieties of arduino lying around and it occurred to me that these could be gainfully employed to chat with motinos by the addition of the RFM69 daughter board.  What the the interface requirements?
Since you haven't gotten a reply yet, the short (but maybe complete) answer is:
SPI interface with unique CS pin,
an interrupt pin (either unique or programming skill to filter sources),
and 3.3V signalling and power. 
I'll wager most Arduino's could be adapted to provide this, with the last requirement the toughest to address.

To implement would require some nominal C programming skill and a willingness to tailor the RFM69 library for your platform (not a big job but does require some understanding of the library).

Tom

Felix

I was thinking about making a standard arduino RFM69 adaptor board, which could just use the pins needed (power and SPI) + the necessary buffering but the cost of making it might be close or exceed that of the Moteino. I need to look futher into it, I do wonder though how many people would want that and if they would be willing to pay for it. Seems a lot of people have UNOs and want to play with RFM69 .

Charly86

Hi jclark58,

If you just want to plug an RFM69 or so on classic Arduino boards and are not afraid by some wiring here are some adapters that can be quickly done by OSHPark

for RFM12B RFM69CW https://github.com/hallard/RFM12B-BreakOut
for RFM69W and RFM69HW https://github.com/hallard/RFM69W-BreakOut





BR549

uChip has a couple of nice boards for use with Arduinos, both 3 for $6.75 on Oshpark:
http://github.com/uChip/RFM69W_BOB
https://github.com/uChip/Moteino_Peripherals_Half-Shield
I have used both. These include optional 3v3/5v level resistors that you need for use with a 5V Arduino. I put 90 degree pins on the 5 data pins plug it right on top of the Arduino with jumpers for VCC & IRQ.

uChip has posted about these last year in this forum, but his Github covers everything.

B

ColinR

I feel like there's not much or anything to be learned from adapting it to an existing arduino, and I value my time. If I needed stuff attached to an existing Arduino that precluded me just replacing it with a Moteino, I'd just buy a Moteino and have them talk to one another.
CuPID Controls :: Open Source browser-based sensor and device control
Interfaceinnovations.org/cupidcontrols.html
cupidcontrols.com

BR549

I agree, Moteinos are better anyway. I am using them with the adapter boards on Arduino Form factor Mbeds-ST Nucleo & Seedstudio Arch Pro; mainly to learn C++ & Mbed.