Questions about the mailbox notifier

Started by Zeldatwili, August 04, 2014, 01:41:22 PM

Zeldatwili

Hello again, so I've been looking at the project and it seems that the code used for the receiver end is used for the LCD display. I'm not sure if that's true, but if it is, I want to modify it to run a python script on the raspberry when it receives a packet saying that the mailbox has been opened, and somehow implement the battery reading into the python code. I also need to know how to modify the sketch for the sender to just send a single packet when the mailbox is opened, and not every five seconds. Finally, for the Hall effect sensor, does it matter which wires are soildered to the pins? If not then which side is the front?

Felix

Hi, the battery reading comes from the remote Moteino in a packet that is ASCII text. So something like "LO:3h12m BAT:4.55V". You can do whatever with that in python. To send a packet upon motion only just remove the loop logic and only leave the is-opened-then-send  check in there. I have a new update for that project that will be much more integrated and easy to use, I will post about that in the following weeks. It will use motion instead of the hall sensor. And yes the hall sensor is polarized, see datasheet and product page for wiring and magnetic poles: https://lowpowerlab.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=57

KanyonKris

While the datasheet pretty clearly shows which side of the Hall sensor detects the north pole of the magnet, I always test it first by passing the magnet in front of the sensor to make sure it registers before I glue the magnet to the thing I'm sensing.

Felix

Quote from: KanyonKris on August 05, 2014, 08:07:08 PM
While the datasheet pretty clearly shows which side of the Hall sensor detects the north pole of the magnet, I always test it first by passing the magnet in front of the sensor to make sure it registers before I glue the magnet to the thing I'm sensing.
I do the same.