Moteino fabrication & assembly

Started by xavier, January 25, 2015, 06:00:50 PM

xavier

Hey there,

Silly question (for Felix I suppose): Are you still assembling all moteinos manually or have you found a company that makes the PCBs and assembles the parts?

I've seen a couple of threads where folks are ordering their own moteino PCBs but wondering if anyone has found a place that would assemble as well...

thanks!

X

Felix

Everything I make is now assembled in house on professional assembly pick and place and reflow oven.

xavier

have you tried to get a company such as seeedstudio or other to get the board assembled?

Felix

No, I never considered outsourcing assembly due to sky high costs and horror stories like this one.
Having my own pick and place and reflow oven assembly line is awesome, I can stuff boards and bake them at 3am if I want to, complete control and it's FREEEE.
I am partially open source but people who consider outsourcing assembly to china should think twice if they actually care about the IP of their work.