SwitchMote questions

Started by NeuralMonk, October 30, 2014, 09:12:07 AM

NeuralMonk

Felix,
I would like to find out the actual dimensions of the SwitchMote Unit.  Primarily, as configured, the depth of the SwitchMote.

I have been doing Home Automation using X10, and most of my units are failing.  Plus, I like your design better.  However, my wife does not like the push button, rocker button of most products.

I am looking to modify the SwitchMote, and place them behind a standard light switch, hooking the toggle switch to the contacts on the Moteino.  This would require that I not even use the front end PCB, and just create a cover over the base SwitchMote "engine".

Most all my boxes are fairly deep, but may not be that deep.

Any help, info, advise, is appreciated.

Felix

Hi there,
Total depth including button caps = 40m
From front acrylic cover to back it is = 36mm
The depth from the top of the cover PCB to the back of the cover plate (including screws heads protrusion) = 30mm
Total depth of the PSU side (PCB to back cover) = 26mm
Gap between PSU pcb and front button PCB = plastic tab of headers used as spacers = ~2.5mm
I went with the buttons because it was the most economical, reasonable size, low profile, and kit-friendly version of button I could find. Anything else will increase the price a lot, but I could be wrong. Toggle switching may introduce more issues. Another solution is to add your toggle but make it act as a momentary (spring load one side so it looks like your traditional switches but you only push one side to actuate 1 button). You may be able to use the same button I have now but without the original cap.