MEGA using interrupts - INT2 [SOLVED]

Started by JohnO, August 17, 2014, 10:35:51 AM

JohnO


Felix

Make sure you don't have any trace of the old library in the Arduino/libraries folder.
All moteinos are tested with the Node sketch against a tester loaded with the Gateway sketch. They all have to pass sending and receiving before being shipped.
I cannot guarantee any Moteinos where the end user solders the radio themselves. Those are only loaded with a blinky sketch to ensure programmability and basic functionality.

JohnO

Do you ship many devices without flash ? I wonder if there is some noise pick-up from the unused tracks

JohnO

Quote from: Felix on August 19, 2014, 12:04:31 PM
I cannot guarantee any Moteinos where the end user solders the radio themselves. Those are only loaded with a blinky sketch to ensure programmability and basic functionality.

I would have ordered with radio but you don't fit the genuine 868MHz. I don't like the idea of using 915MHz modules - if I then had strange things happening someone would claim the radio was incompatible.

On the soldering front I have built many Jeenodes from scratch without any failures although I understand your concern.

Felix

The external FLASH chips are optional and the cost extra, so they don't come by default.
The reason I can't give a guarantee is because if I'm not the source of all the components, that makes no sense. People can always save a buck by doing a little work themselves but then they have to take the responsibility to cover for any potential issues.
I have never seen any problems caused by noise or capacitive coupling on the SPI or other traces.
The traces themselves are at least 10-12mil so pretty thick, even thicker on the regular Moteino.
The differences between 868 and 915mhz passives in the filters are minimal and I have not seen significant difference in performance tests. That's why I chose to only carry 915 versions which can be used at 868 without a noticeable difference. You could do much more on the bitrate/bandwidth settings to dramatically affect performance and range. Also I'm sure the makers know the negligible differences between the two bands and I wouldn't bet all I have on the fact that the two modules are in fact identical in BOM, just marked differently. Just as much as I wouldn't bet the chips are not in fact fake silicon that happens to just work. Never bet on china ;)

JohnO

#20
Could you try your MEGA, without flash with your gateway sketch and let me know if it works correctly?

My radios came from the authorised UK distributor but ultimately from China. A radio from the same batch is working fine on my Moteino 328.

Felix


JohnO

#22
I bought a batch of ten RFM69W devices from the UK Distributor the first one was fitted to my first Moteino 328 and it works fine with both your gateway code and the Jeelabs software proving such a challenge for the MEGA. The third & fourth radios from my batch have been tried on the MEGA and both show the same problem.

I will try to scope the SPI lines tomorrow and see if anything pops up.

Ah, and before you ask the second radio lives on a breadboard and works fine too.

Felix

Again, SPI needs to be at 4Mhz to work. Don't expect it to run on the jeelib out of box. I can only say it should work with the LowPowerLab RFM69 Library.

JohnO

You were right to challenge my soldering I had a high resistance on the GND connection to the radio. The Jeelabs library is happy with SPIX2, 8 meg SPI. They don't use the SPI library so maybe that is it.

Do you have a CRC check over the radio payload in your library?

Felix

CRC is a hardware feature in the RFM69 which is better/faster than the firmware implementation for the RFM12b.

JohnO

Good, that explains why the payload was corrupted by my soldering problem. I couldn't understand why the library was accepting the invalid payload - the payload was good into the radio but bad into the 1284P.