Can Moteinos control WS2812B based NeoPixel strips?

Started by J, July 03, 2014, 04:20:10 PM

J

Hi all,

I'm trying to find which hardware to buy for a home lighting project.

The goal is to control light strips in 5 different locations inside my home and control them by phone or remote.

I've been searching for wireless duinos for a while and it's now between the Pololu and Moteinos.

My question is can Moteinos control NeoPixel strips? I don't have any expertise to make this question more specific.

My plan is to buy 14m of addressible NeoPixel RGB strips and 5v adapters to power them and then control 1.5m to 4m segments per Moteino (sub-segments powered separately).

I believe that once I find the base hardware then I'll be able to figure out the rest by browsing more online.

-Jeck


J

After learning a bit more about how this stuff works the answer is yes, it just needs a digital IO pin.

A

WS2812's want 5v, but folks are of the opinion you can run them from a 3.3v I/O pin, you might just have issues with the first couple LEDs as they groom your signal for you. Also watch out for interrupts if you're going to use a Moteino with a transceiver, as the WS2812's are very timing specific.

J

Thank you for the info on voltage and the interrupts. It lead me to week of googling to learn more.

I ran in to a snag buying Moteinos and that is that I can't find a Moteino distributor in Europe. I can't justify ordering from the US due to customs and tax overhead. I would have to add an extra $50-$70 for a few customs related fees and an additional 25% for VAT. I'm browsing for alternative wireless controllers now.


Felix


J


Felix

Yeah that might add up then. EU import taxes are killing the enthusiasm... too bad.