Hardwire interfacing Moteino with Arduino - Newbie question [SOLVED]

Started by K1JOS, June 19, 2014, 10:10:30 PM

K1JOS

I would like to use a graphic touch screen for my project.  I have it working fine with my Arduino Uno.  My Gateway Moteino will be processing received compass data from a Moteino node sensor and I would like to pass data bidirectionally from my Moteino Gateway and the Uno in order to use the Graphic touchscreen as the GUI.  I am about to try this with the SoftwareSerial library but I dont know whether to use hardware or software interrupts, what is the best flow control if any, etc, etc.

Any advice appreciated (especially any examples)

thanks in advance
Jerry 

Felix

Jerry,
I have not personally used a touch screen with Moteino. Maybe someone else has. You mentioned software serial, that should work, but reliability will be less than hardware serial (maybe 99% of hardware serial). Also Moteino is 3.3V while UNO is 5V. Maybe you should wait for Moteino MEGA instead, it will be 5V and have  an extra hardware serial.

K1JOS

Thanks Felix,


When you do think you will be ready to ship the Moteino Mega?

j

Felix

Not sure, I'm waiting for my second prototype that hopefully fixes the issues I've had. If that is good I will have to start with a small batch since the 1284p chips are so expensive. I expect sales to be low because of that, hence I have to stock low for now. But I'm looking at at least 4-6 weeks from now.

hdphilip


jerry,

It should work, I've used a ST7735 1.8" color lcd in hardware spi mode, on my moteino base board with no problems.

Felix, 

Are you going to have a place for a 18b20 temp sensor in a location close to the RFM's crystal for temp compensation?
I've found it works Great!


Philip




K1JOS

Philip,

Does your setup also use the RFM69 or is it a bare Moteino?  I thought there could be SPI conflicts using both RFM69 plus anything else on SPI bus.

thanks in advance
Jerry

hdphilip

jerry

I first bread boarded the moteino (RFM69HW) with the ST7735 160x128, I used a hardware spi library (modified version of adafruits). and it worked fine. no conflicts so far.

I also have a DS3231 RTC connected to the I2C bus. A 18b20 temp sensor to monitor case temp for my TCXO control loop.

Philip