not getting the moteino r4 usb with rfm69hw to work

Started by flok, May 29, 2014, 04:01:34 PM

flok

I bought a couple of moteino r4-usb devices. Some with an RFM69HW soldered on, some without (as I had a couple of those radios lying around already).
As a quick test I cloned the git repo and installed the "Gateway" sketch on one of the devices (this is the sketch which copies radio-message one-on-one to the serial port). On an other device I implemented a small sketch myself (code I already use with xbee radios (I want to replace them as they are too expensive)).
Now something peculiar is happening: messages come in but the payload is garbage.
From what I understood, the rfm69hw add frameing to the payload with a checksum/crc in it and only pass the frame on to, in this case, the moteino if it is valid.
The output of the Gateway program is:

...
[213] to [1] s��   [RX_RSSI:-42]
[213] to [1]    [RX_RSSI:-41]
[213] to [1] �   [RX_RSSI:-41]
...

This 's??' data ought to be an ascii string.
Note that I did not use any encryption.
The number 213 and 1 are indeed correct addresses(!).

Maybe anyone sees something wrong in a glance with my ode?
I explicitly chose to note to use the ack-mechanism as it is not important if I miss some of the messages.

setup:
  RFM69 radio(SPI_CS, RF69_IRQ_PIN, true);
  radio.initialize(RF69_868MHZ, 213, 1);
  radio.promiscuous(true);
  radio.setHighPower(true);
  radio.setPowerLevel(31);

and sending data:

void sendViaRadio(uint8_t *out, int len) {
    waitLed(true);

    while(!radio.canSend())
      delay(1);

    if (radio.canSend())
      radio.send(1, out, len, false);

    waitLed(false);
}


thanks in advance

Felix

You dont ever need to call canSend()
Can  you just try my Node and Gateway examples from here:
https://github.com/LowPowerLab/RFM69/tree/master/Examples
Start with these (change only the settings - frequency, isHW or not, IDs, comment out encryption, etc).

flok

I think it might be a problem on my side :-)

Do the regular pins of the moteino r4 usb have 5V or 3,3V levels?

thanks

flok

Quote from: flok on June 16, 2014, 02:38:25 PM
I think it might be a problem on my side :-)

Do the regular pins of the moteino r4 usb have 5V or 3,3V levels?

thanks

Flok: it is 3,3V. You can simply measure that yourself by setting e.g. pin 3 to output and then using delay write set it to high. Then measure between GND and that pin.

Felix

Yes, definitely 3.3V on regular Moteinos including Moteino-USB.