Powering Moeteino from VIN while FTDI connected

Started by thinkpeace, June 08, 2014, 01:40:47 PM

thinkpeace


I would like to power the Moteino R4 from VIN whether a FTDI/USB adapter is plugged in or not.  Currently I'm using a jumper block to connect external power, but it's easy to forget to remove the jumper block when connecting FTDI. 

Can I modify the Moeteino so that it is always powered from an external power source (VIN)?

Thanks,

Eric

Felix

Hmmm ... if it's 5V and GNDs are connected then it should not be an issue.
You could cut the VIN trace on the FTDI connection if that is only sometimes connected and the external VIN is permanent...

thinkpeace

I'm using a regulated 5v supply, and when I power the Moteino VIN, the FTDI does not work.  So, I added a jumper so I can disconnect VIN, but I often forget to remove the jumper.

I will cut the 5v on the FTDI adaptor.

Thanks,

Eric

luisr320

How about soldering an SMD diode between the cut traces? That way you avoid having current getting into the FTDI adapter but retain the ability to use it as a power source, if required.

hdphilip


I have my FTDI adapter set for 3.3volts, and a cell phone battery connected to Vin at the same time without any problems so far...

Philip