Power Shield High Current Draw [SOLVED]

Started by NixHydra, April 04, 2014, 05:00:35 AM

kobuki

Quote from: NixHydra on April 19, 2014, 03:55:34 AM
   kobuki, thanks for the 2 cents worth and got to love that "wife detector" anecdote of yours.

NP, but uh, well, that anecdote is from someone else, definitely not me :)

NixHydra

My apologies, it was kolumkilli's anecdote, if you haven't read it, check it out, I'm sure you will find it entertaining at least.

                                 cheers,


NixHydra

Hi,

   This is a follow-up post concerning this problem. I must admit that I read with some amusement the comments suggesting a cheap $5 multimeter was the culprit. I knew the meter I was using was quite capable of true RMS measurement. So, I thought with at least forty odd of the Moteino Power Shields out there, surely others would have problems and sure enough they did ... hence the recent release of the revision 2 Power Shield.

   Prior to the release of the revision 2 shield I purchased a Boost Converter Board from a local Australian company, Freetronics. Their board uses the Richtek RT9276 converter chip. These chips are dirt cheap, at only AUS $0.76 from RadioSpares. When this board was connected to a single AA NiMh battery and the same Moteino hardware as used in previous tests, the sleep current draw was found to be 14uA, not the mA draw found previously. Please see fig(i). For completeness I'm including a photo of the Freetronics hardware, fig (ii).

http://www.freetronics.com/collections/all-products/products/usb-boost-5v-usb-power-supply#.U5vt1_sQ_cs

   Intend to design and build yet another Moteino Shield using the RichTek RT9276 chip. Just don't want to take a chance on purchasing a revision 2 Shield and finding similar problems as the original, with my application. If anyone has purchased and used the revision 2 Shield, it would be really helpful if they could post of their experience with it. Anyway, I hope this is of help to others.

                                            cheers,


kobuki

How is the current draw on the AA battery using the Freetronics board?