Cheap thermistor vs 1-Wire DS18B20?

Started by Richard, January 24, 2015, 08:45:27 PM

jra

The last time I actually used a thermistor was back in graduate school during the Carter administration when linearization was accomplished via suitable selection of a series or parallel resistor.  State of the art has advanced somewhat since then. I would look for a library that uses the Steinhart-Hart equation if you can determine/calculate the coefficients for the thermistor you plan on using.

TomWS

Quote from: jra on December 17, 2018, 04:48:41 PM
The last time I actually used a thermistor was back in graduate school during the Carter administration when linearization was accomplished via suitable selection of a series or parallel resistor.  State of the art has advanced somewhat since then. I would look for a library that uses the Steinhart-Hart equation if you can determine/calculate the coefficients for the thermistor you plan on using.
All the ones I saw cited the Steinhart-Hart equation.  This library looked interesting: https://github.com/YuriiSalimov/NTC_Thermistor because the constructor used standard thermistor parameters (from the Thermistor datasheet) for setting the equations internally and the methods were straightforward.  That his Fritzing diagram is incorrect is bothersome...

Tom