Comparison / Overview of the current ranger vs the µCurrent

Started by Jason, December 09, 2018, 11:41:54 AM


TomWS

Great  review!  Thanks for posting!  I think I'll order a Current Ranger!  Oh, wait, I already did!   ;)

sparky


Bakyt

It is a great video! In the last minute of the video, the author says it is not advisable to use USB connection during the measurement. I could not figure out what the harm is. Does data transfer over USB affect the precision of the measurement?

Felix

Bakyt,
The USB ground is not the same as the ground of the input or output. If you have non-floating (ie non-isolated) equipment hooked up at the output, that shares common earth/ground with the USB then there would be a ground loop through the CR and it could be damaged.
Same is true for input, if you power your DUT from an earth/ground referenced power supply, and you have a PC hooked to USB (also powered from mains) and/or a mains powered scope/DMM at the output, that is also a hazard condition.

However, if you have a LAPTOP running on a battery, then there is no problem outputting via USB serial, since the laptop is completely floating with respect to the rest of the circuit.

So only 1 common ground referenced circuit is permitted to be connected to the CR at 1 time.

I explained this in the guide, but I hear questions like this again and again. Folks are hooking up batteries wrong and smoking the charger circuit - and are asking for help in this forum, is the excitement so big that users skip the guide alltogether?  :)

Bakyt

Thanks, Felix!
Never thought about this! The God has saved my CR from these damages while I was doing my experiments!
I just read your explanations and warnings!  :-[