Ordered 3 Moteinos for remote porch light control

Started by cootcraig, March 12, 2014, 04:26:55 PM

cootcraig

I've posted about this before, but I just placed the order and here is what I
will be doing.

Raspberry Pi inside with MoteinoUSB
talking to Moteino outside at front steps.

I have a 12V power supply in place that
is powering LED strips in the front steps, I'll
use this to power the Moteino setup.

These 2 devices on the outside Monteino

DS1307 Real Time Clock breakout board
http://www.adafruit.com/products/264

TSL2561 luminosity sensor breakout
https://www.adafruit.com/products/439

First project will be to wire this up and learn how
to setup the RTC and light sensor.  I will log
light sensor values and work out how to determine
nightfall.

The other Moteino will be available for testing.


smni

How specifically will you have the Raspberry Pi set up?

cootcraig

Quote from: smni on March 12, 2014, 05:13:42 PM
How specifically will you have the Raspberry Pi set up?

Base Pi setup is documented here.

http://www.coot.net/blog/2014/03/raspbian-netinst/

Gateway software will be based on this:

https://github.com/CootCraig/pi_arduino_io_1

I'm not a hardware guy, so I'll likely have questions on using the
real time clock and light sensor.

cootcraig

How to wire this up for a hardware novice?

Adafruit has tutorials.

DS1307 RTC

http://learn.adafruit.com/ds1307-real-time-clock-breakout-board-kit/wiring-it-up

Wiring the TSL2561 Sensor

http://learn.adafruit.com/tsl2561/wiring

I hope this note explains how to get both wired:

Quote
You may be wondering, how is it OK to connect a 3.3V chip like the TSL2561 to 5.0V data pins like the Arduino? Isn't that bad? Well, in this specific case its OK. I2c uses pullup lines to the 3.3V power pin, so the data is actually being sent at 3.3V. As long as all the sensors/device on the i2c bus are running on 3.3V power, we're fine. However, don't use a 5.0v powered i2c device (like the DS1307) with pullups at the same time as a 3.3V device like the TSL2561! If you want to use this sensor with a datalogger that uses the DS1307, remove any/all of the pullup resistors from the DS1307 SDA/SCL pins. The pullups built into the TSL2561 will then be active and keep the voltage at 3.3V which is safe for both the RTC and the sensor.

I have the DS1307 RTC already, so I will try this first.