RFM12B library for ChipKit PIC32mx boards

Started by thinkpeace, January 19, 2014, 02:04:38 AM

thinkpeace

I ported the LowPowerLab RFM12B library to the ChipKit PIC32MX Arduino compatible boards.

The library can be downloaded here:
https://github.com/eric-einem/RFM12B

I think ChipKit WF32 (http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?NavPath=2,892,1193&Prod=CHIPKIT-WF32) will make a great gateway to the internet for a Moteino network.  I started with the Arduino Ethernet as a gateway, but my gateway included a fair amount of intelligence, and the Arduino Ethernet quickly ran out of memory.  The WF32 is also a good value at $69 almost the same price as the Arduino Ethernet ($60).

I wired an RFM12B module that I purchased from SparkFun to the WF32 according to the 3.3V version of the diagram on this page (http://openenergymonitor.org/emon/buildingblocks/rfm12b-wireless), except that the IRQ is wired to Pin 3 of the WF32, and the SS is wired to pin 9 of the WF32.

Next I will be porting the RFM69 library.

Felix

That's great.
But wondering why you'd choose that board over a RaspberryPi which can run Linux (real multitasking OS) and just $40 delivered...

thinkpeace

The Rasberry Pi looks like it would be great for an RF gateway. 

I used the ChipKit because I'm experienced with Arduino, and already have a gateway coded which runs on an Arduino.  The ChipKit is a quick way for me to upgrade my gateway to a 32-bit processor with more RAM and program memory.

I want to get myself a Rasberry Pi as it looks like a great board at a great price.  Is there a working RFM gateway implemented for it available?

Felix

You don't need one. You just use the Moteino gateway and wire it to the Pi's serial. Done.