RFM69 vs SX1268

Started by bitswap, April 16, 2025, 06:21:11 AM

bitswap

I came across the SX1268 which is claiming 5km range (in more than  ideal conditions I guess).

Has anyone tested these? How do they compare against the RFM69? Is there any truth in the said  5k range? Do they require more power than the RFM69 to achieve longer range?

The downside of them seem the lack of development with Arduino librairies. I found one but not developed as much as the one from LowPowerLab.

If anyone has any feedback or opinion on this module that would be great.

Felix

It all depends. Claiming something doesn't mean much without proper context.
I claim based on actual tests that the RFM69 (sx1231h) can get well over 100km with proper elevation and low bitrate etc.
The 1268 is a LoRa chip with 22dBm output so it has an out of box advantage of spread spectrum and power over the simple FSK of the RFM69 so it has an edge there but there are tradeoffs. If you don't elevate and lower bitrate you likely won't break a few hundred yards with any of the LoRa chips either.