CR with external scope to measure 10uA to 800mA dynamic SoC current range

Started by [email protected], March 01, 2022, 03:57:05 AM

[email protected]

Hey, LowPowerLab community - I need help.

I want to do a power profiling of a Wifi SoC module which could range from 10uA to 800mA dynamically depending on the sleep/active state. To easily calculate avg power/current/energy, I want the full dynamic range on the scope with the least noise.

1. How do I get the dynamic range on the scope? CR in Auto-ranging mode switches automatically, but the scope isn't. For example, for both 10uA and 10mA, my scope shows 10mV.

2. Any tips on reducing the noise in this setup (Battery DUT > CR > Scope > USD isolator > Computer) ? Other than short wires and LPF.

Thank you in advance!

Felix

In such situation I would use the mA range to observe and characterize the important parts of the sleep/wake/active cycles, on the scope.
You also have the option to log through USB during auto-ranging so you can get readings while the device is in its normal operation.
For finer accuracy and better observation of individual cycle characterization I would program the DUT to cycle through the sleep/wake/active cycles long enough to take those measurements.