Author Topic: ATXRaspi ShutDown LED [solved: bad solder/flux causes shorts!]  (Read 25693 times)

jmwojcie_2000

• NewMember
ATXRaspi ShutDown LED [solved: bad solder/flux causes shorts!]
« on: October 05, 2017, 12:57:38 PM »
I have read through all the install guides, watched the videos and have read through as much as I can find in previous posts.  I am still having some issues with my ATXRaspi and now am thinking the problem may be with the device itself.  After trying many different things including different buttons and unsuccessfully playing with the scripts, I found the information below.

I have followed some testing procedures from Felix in the following post:  https://lowpowerlab.com/forum/atxraspi/system-does-not-power-down-(solved)/15/

"To verify you have a good ATXRaspi please completely disconnect it from your Pi. You can test it by itself. Just turn it ON using the button as normally. At that point the output side will have 5V. Simulate a Pi boot OK by connecting the BOOTOK to the 5V output (with a jumper wire) - the LED next to BOOTOK will turn ON. Now hold the button for 3 seconds. That should assert the SHUTDOWN signal and turn the LED next to it, also the LED connected (if any)  to your button will start pulsing. Give it a few seconds and then disconnect the BOOTOK signal from 5V. At that point the BOOTOK LED turns off and the pulsing will be faster on the button LED. After another few seconds power will be cut off."

When I follow the procedure above, the ATXRaspi seems to perform as expected (BootOK LED, button function, status LED) with the exception of the ShutDown LED.  As soon as I hit the button to power on, the ShutDown LED turns red and stays on constant until the power is cut from the board during the shutdown test process.

Am I wrong to assume there is something wrong with the device since the ShutDown LED is not supposed to come on as soon as power is turned on?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 04:14:33 PM by Felix »

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
Re: ATXRaspi ShutDown LED
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 01:11:26 PM »
Am I wrong to assume there is something wrong with the device since the ShutDown LED is not supposed to come on as soon as power is turned on?

You are correct, the SHUTDOWN red LED should not come ON. It only comes on under the condition that BOOTOK is ON, and button has been held for the shutdown threshold amount of time (2s+).
Are you using a momentary button (ie non latching)?
Can you double check the board has no solder bridges anywhere? Perhaps could you take some high res photos of TOP and BOTTOM and post a link here for inspection?

jmwojcie_2000

• NewMember
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 01:47:43 PM »
Felix,

Thank you for your quick reply.  I am using a momentary switch.  It does not appear that there are any soldering bridges.  I will have to post photos separate due to the upload limit.

jmwojcie_2000

• NewMember
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 01:48:07 PM »
Second pic

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 01:57:09 PM »
Ok thanks, all appears in order.
One last question, did you perform the diagnostic ON test with any connections from ATXRaspi to Pi or anything else?

jmwojcie_2000

• NewMember
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 02:14:21 PM »
The diagnostic ON test was performed with the connections you see in my first post.  Just the button, status LED and eventual BOOT OK connection.  The Pi was not used at all.

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 02:41:29 PM »
Ok please turn ON the board without any other connections, just the button and status LED, nothing else.
What is the behavior then (BOOTOK and SHUTDOWN leds)?

jmwojcie_2000

• NewMember
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 02:48:57 PM »
Its hard to see in the pic, but the red ShutDown LED on the board is on.

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 03:13:34 PM »
Thank you, return for inspection pending.

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 04:14:00 PM »
Got your board, indeed it had the behavior you described, the SHUTDOWN LED was ON as soon as the board came ON, sometimes flickering. Very strange and I've never seen this before.

Although the solder job looked ok from below the board, lifting the plastic spacers of the headers reveals a really nasty suprise.
There was a TON of flux and some strange residue between the PCB and the headers, hidden by the plastic part.
I removed the headers, cleaned everything up, added new headers, now everything works as expected.
So lesson to take home: not sure what solder you used but cheap solder that has tons of flux in it can cause shorts, corrosion and other problems.

efrank

• NewMember
Re: ATXRaspi ShutDown LED [solved: bad solder/flux causes shorts!]
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2019, 09:34:02 PM »
I wish my solution was that simple, I've spent way too many hours over the last 3 days in the forum trying to find a similar situation regarding no shutdown or rebooting but no luck. Somehow I must have done something to the ATX board when soldering. So without spending anymore time on this and or wasting anyone else's time, I'm just gonna buy another one and see if I can do a better job.

efrank

• NewMember
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 10:47:41 PM »
Ok so I received my new Atx-Raspi, and it works...Yaaay!! However, the button press works opposite, meaning, the short push will shut the Pi off, and the long push reboots it???? But you know what, as long as it works I'm ok with that. I can remember which is which so just as long as this doesn't hurt anything, I'm a happy guy :)   

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 11:05:51 AM »
efrank, please see the Atxraspi guide for the change in behavior of R3, and how to reverse the short/long press behavior.

efrank

• NewMember
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 03:20:18 PM »
Thank You Felix, I found what you were talking about, but man that's just too "tiny" of an area for my fat fingers and poor eyesight to accomplish. Like I said before, as long as its not hurting anything, I'll just let it operate the way it is now. 

efrank

• NewMember
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 04:15:01 PM »
So after I tested the ATX board and found that it does indeed work, I then soldered on the headers and sure enough the bootok led doesn't go on yet again! Maybe it's the solder I have that's junk idk, and I also noticed that it doesn't flow the way your's does in the video, (btw, you make it look so easy too) that maybe it's not making a good connection. But ya know, since I've had to buy 2 ATX boards, I would have gladly paid that much for 1 had it come with the headers already attached to make it totally "plug and play". It's really not about the money, I guess I'm just too old to work on anything this small anymore, but at least I tried right.

Best wishes to everyone :)