Author Topic: RFM69W Problem - Range (Raspberry Pi)  (Read 1457 times)

LittleRock

• NewMember
RFM69W Problem - Range (Raspberry Pi)
« on: July 21, 2015, 12:16:08 PM »
Hello,

I use two Moteino R4 with RFM69W module.

I want to make a communication between these two Moteino. The first one is plugged on a Raspberry Pi and the second one is connected on a PC with a FTDI/Serial adapter.

The maximum range that I get is like 2-3 meters.

I check the voltage and the current that I apply to these Moteino, I think it's good, but I'll send you more information about it, if needed.

I tried to make a communication between two Moteino connected on two PC laptops with FTDI/Serial adapter and the range was really better. I don't know if the problem comes from the RPi.

The moteinos have 173mm antenna that I made myself.

Do you have any solutions ?

Thank you.

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
Re: RFM69W Problem - Range (Raspberry Pi)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 01:41:37 PM »
Start with the Node and Gateway sketched found here.
Check your settings. Make sure you have #define IS_RFM69HW commented out.
You must apply at least 3.6 volts to the VIN pin as input.
Otherwise the more info you can give the better we can assist. "It doesn't work" is a very common problem :)

LittleRock

• NewMember
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 04:55:18 AM »
I apologize for the lack of information. I was just surprised by the differences between the two configurations that I made.

Well, yesterday, I achieved to resolve the problem.

It seems that I have connected the Moteino to the Raspberry Pi with its FTDI pins (the pins on the FTDI side). I just changed the pins, using the pins on the side with the Analog Pins of the Moteino, and it works !

I think I have missed some information about the differences between the Vin pin on the FTDI pins side and the Vin pin on the Analog Pins side.

Maybe I can find an explanation about this ? I'm sure I've always used the PWR Pin which allows 3.3V to 9V power supply.

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 08:23:02 AM »
On regular (nonUSB) Moteinos the VIN on the top side (or analog side as you call it) is == VIN on the FTDI header input, same for the GND pins. You should provide at least 3.6V to the VIN, 3.3v is not enough. Do not connect any voltage going INTO the "3.3" pin, that is the output of the regulator FROM the Moteino.