Author Topic: RFM69 Radio with Huzzah ESP8266  (Read 2722 times)

gfvalvo

• NewMember
RFM69 Radio with Huzzah ESP8266
« on: November 26, 2016, 06:22:57 PM »
Hello All.
I'm attempting to get the Adafruit RFM69 Radio Feather Wing to work with the Huzzah ESP8266 Feather. I'm trying to compile the receiver example code here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/radio-featherwing/using-the-rfm69-radio

I made the specified changes for the Huzzah's CS, IRQ, and RST pins and downloaded the RFM69 library as instructed. However, the compilation is failing with the message:
Code: [Select]
Arduino: 1.6.12 (Windows 7), Board: "Adafruit HUZZAH ESP8266, 80 MHz, 115200, 4M (3M SPIFFS)"

D:\GFV's Documents\Computer Stuff\Arduino Projects\libraries\RFM69\RFM69_OTA.cpp:35:21: fatal error: avr/wdt.h: No such file or directory

#include <avr/wdt.h>

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Adafruit HUZZAH ESP8266.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.
It compiles fine if I set the target board to Adafruit Feather 32u4.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Greg

gfvalvo

• NewMember
Re: RFM69 Radio with Huzzah ESP8266
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 10:04:22 AM »
Update:
I got the code to compile simply by removing the 'RFM69_OTA.cpp' file from the folder containing the rest of the RFM69 library. No errors and the code now works. To me, that suggests two possibilities:

* The FRM69 library was updated AFTER the code in question was lasted tested with the ESP8266 micro-controller.

* The code was NEVER tested with the ESP8266 micro-controller. I find that hard to believe since it contains comments referencing that processor.

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 10:03:22 PM »
* The code was NEVER tested with the ESP8266 micro-controller. I find that hard to believe since it contains comments referencing that processor.
This is the case. RFM69 was not really designed to run on ESP and the CI is only setup for Moteino. I wrote it from scratch to make it work on Moteinos, and of course comes with no guarantees. People submitted pull requests to make certain adjustments to make it work on 32u4, ESP and other devices. I honestly can't keep up with everything out there and I have little to no interest in ESP or the 32u4, M0 etc. While I welcome contributions it's impossible to focus on testing this library on every MCU. The RFM69_OTA is somewhat of a work in progress and an effort to consolidate my Moteino libraries and I may change that or figure out a way to make the unloose the wdt interrupt when it's not used.

gfvalvo

• NewMember
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 10:51:08 PM »
Hi Felix.

I didn't mean to imply that YOU should have tested the library with ESP8266. Adafuit should have done that since they posted the example code on their web site and referenced you library. Also, their code explicitly mentioned ESP8266 in the comments. That's why I thought they already wrung it out.

Greg

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 11:00:50 PM »
Thanks for understanding, yes if others base their products on another MCU and want to use the master non-forked branch, they being familiar with that MCU in their product could invest the time to test and submit PRs, would certainly make my life easier. I still have to run the build testing and any CI adjustments.