Author Topic: RFM69 Library and Microsoft Security Essentials  (Read 1543 times)

gfvalvo

• NewMember
RFM69 Library and Microsoft Security Essentials
« on: December 06, 2016, 08:53:53 PM »
Hi. I just tried to re-download the RFM69 library as a .zip and Microsoft Security Essentials complained it had a virus. See attached. I downloaded the library last week without any issues. Anyone else see this?
Greg

perky

Re: RFM69 Library and Microsoft Security Essentials
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 09:23:18 PM »
Not sure how good this site is (or even if it's legit), but it claims to scan an uploaded file with multiple anti-virus programs:
https://www.virustotal.com/
Mark.
Edit: It appears to be legit, apparently a subsidary of Google...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 09:28:45 PM by perky »

gfvalvo

• NewMember
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 10:14:37 PM »
Actually, I'd be more interested in knowing if anyone else has downloaded the library as a .zip lately and seen this problem.

bpr

• NewMember
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 11:22:03 PM »
yes, I got a virus warning from comcast's version of norton antivirus reporting that wirelessprogramming.exe  had "suspicious" behavior (heuristically determined) but in the end I disregarded that warning and approved it without apparent ill-effect.
On virustotal.com, only Qihoo-360 out of 55 antivrus programs found it to be or have  a virus (norton apparently isn't part of virustotal's suite) - "HEUR/QVM03.0.0000.Malware.Gen"  I suspect /hope it's a false positive.
See also http://stackoverflow.com/questions/33998715/visual-studio-2015-community-trojan-heur-qvm03-0-malware-gen
Also, when I have virustotal scan the github url, there are no reports of malware
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 11:33:16 PM by bpr »

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 07:59:01 AM »
MS is just dumb - they detect a virus in a binary compiled with their own Visual Studio. Well maybe their compilation produces a virus looking binary.
I could try compile it with a different version but .... i doubt that changes anything.

TrendSetter

• NewMember
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 10:26:22 AM »
this happened to me last night. i did some research and its very common lately.  update to the latest definitions and it shouldnt be detected anymore.