Author Topic: OOK mode for RFM69W (as in JeeLib)?  (Read 10251 times)

inizen

• NewMember
OOK mode for RFM69W (as in JeeLib)?
« on: February 11, 2014, 10:15:35 AM »
Hi there:

Jeelib has a useful feature (for me) where the RFM12 module can also be used in  OOK mode, by simply switching the FSK transmitter on and off (library routine rf12_onOff). Can this be done for the RFM69W? Has anyone got this working? How difficult would it be to port the OnOff routine from the Moteino library for RFM12?

Regards,

Inizen

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
Re: OOK mode for RFM69W (as in JeeLib)?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 12:44:43 PM »
I'm not sure if it's doable or not. I don't have a use for OOK hence I didn't spend the time to implement that features. If there's enough interest I might look into it.

darrepac

• NewMember
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 04:14:25 PM »
Contrary to RFM12B, RFM69W does support OOK modulation in native and does not need a hack as done in Jeelib. (see spec. here: http://www.jm.pl/karty/RFM69W.pdf )
Yet, it has to be supported by the Moteino library and it would be great to have such support as there are quite some protocols using OOK...

Spexx

• NewMember
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 04:46:17 PM »
Yes, would be great if you could find some time to add this feature to the library  8)

ulli

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 05:01:35 PM »
I am also very interested in using the OOK funktion.
I already use the OOK signal on a rfm12 for power plugs and their remote control (send+receiving) and FS20 Signals (send+receiving).

kobuki

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 01:12:28 PM »
I'd be interested in an OOK mode too. It should not be very complicated, however if I understood the specs correctly, an additional signal output (DIO1/DCLK) of the RFM69 need to be hooked to a digital input pin on the Atmega in order to be able to decode arbitrary bitstreams, ie. not packetized ones or at least not the ones the RFM69 can be made to receive. OOK packet mode is inferior to the FSK mode, IMHO, and it's general usability lies in the ability to receive transmissions of cheap weather stations, radio remotes, etc. For those it's probably impossible to write an API that supports every existing data format, but a good general OOK bitstream interface for continuous mode would be very useful, I think.

ichilton

• NewMember
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 09:21:13 AM »
I agree - this would be useful for control of 3rd party devices, like power plugs etc.

Zeph

• NewMember
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 03:55:49 AM »
Also agreed, this would be very handy.

I'm considering switching over from nRF24L01+ to RFM69W/Motino, and the ability to use the same hardware to read (or send to) some commercial devices would be one of the advantages. 

kobuki

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 04:32:20 AM »
I started writing a simple OOK addition to the existing RFM69 library by Felix. When I have a working version I'll share it here (and on Github) so anyone interested can try out and discuss. However my OOK equipment repertoire is pretty limited so I'm going to have to need some early testers. Naturally, no promises on when it might be ready for testing, but "soon".

ulli

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 02:01:04 PM »
Sounds perfekt. I am your man/tester.

ulli

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 03:30:09 PM »
@kobuki: Did you get it running?

kobuki

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 03:37:02 PM »
I started to implement it May, and already have the basics and the simple API laid out but had no test Moteinos (used up previous ones) so I ordered a few. I have them since then, unpacked. I was and still am too overwhelmed with work to continue. Sorry, this will have to wait, unless someone has picked up the idea and has written some code. I'd guesstimate I can continue with my hobby projects in this autumn... I'll definitely drop a note here if/when it happens.

hilcoonline

• NewMember
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2014, 11:46:33 AM »
A while ago I also tried to use the RFM69W for OOK transmission, but it was quite hard. I did manage to send a signal to my lamp (Klik aan Klik uit), but receiving a signal was much harder. Here is some information:
members.home.nl/hilcoklaassen/index.html

I did not put the Arduino sketches online yet, but maybe the information helps.

fabix68

• NewMember
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 02:18:23 AM »
hil Coonline , have continued the development of the project ?
I would like to "catch" the signal of a weather station Ventus W155 , OOK transmission , protocol already known , with RFM69H , I read your study but do not know how to implement the script arduino

kobuki

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 05:38:38 AM »
I've made a successful attempt at writing an OOK transceiver lib, please have a look here. It would be great to have some feedback.