Author Topic: Remote Radiation Monitor (battery-powered, LoRaWAN-enabled Geiger counter)  (Read 1119 times)

kizniche

• NewMember
    • kylegabriel.com
I just wanted to share a project I just completed that implements a remote, battery-powered radiation monitor and a software system I also develop, Mycodo, that automatically relays counts per minute and μSv/hr to two public radiation monitoring maps (Safecast and GMC Map).

More details and images can be found at my blog post titled Remote Radiation Monitoring and my Github repository at kizniche/Mycodo-custom-inputs/geiger counter.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 05:18:18 PM by kizniche »
Github: kizniche

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
Awesome, nicely implemented, thanks for sharing your work!
How is the Moteino powered? From the 2xAA of the geiger counter?

kizniche

• NewMember
    • kylegabriel.com
There's a 3xAAA battery pack under the Geiger counter that powers the Moteino Mega. The 3.3v output from pin 0 is soldered to the positive terminal of the Geiger counter's battery case to power the Geiger counter, as it only draws 10 mA. The Geiger counter power switch is set to the on position, so the Moteino Mega controls when it's powered by changing the pin 0 state.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 02:06:23 PM by kizniche »

kizniche

• NewMember
    • kylegabriel.com
There's a 3xAAA battery pack under the Geiger counter that powers the Moteino Mega.

It's a minor correction, but it's a AA battery pack, not AAA. It's operating for 1 minute every hour (which I'm going to change to 90 seconds for improved accuracy). I'll make a reply once the batteries are depleted and provide information about battery usage.