Author Topic: Remote Beehive Temperature Monitoring  (Read 1131 times)

Jason

Remote Beehive Temperature Monitoring
« on: November 23, 2018, 02:14:27 PM »
An overview of the project.

Major credit goes to Felix for this Low Power Labs which is an excellent resource and for the software used in this project.
Thanks!

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
Re: Remote Beehive Temperature Monitoring
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 01:32:38 PM »
Very nice, I love bees, and honey! :D

Did you end up using a proxy for the Gateway software?
How about the different temperature metrics? Did you define your own custom ones to allow multiple temperature readings per 1 node?

FWIW - the icon image should be 120px * 120px to make it fit perfectly, but maybe I should make that auto-scale to avoid overlaps in case it's larger.

Jason

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 04:51:08 PM »
Hi Felix!

Thanks for the information about icon!

I “hacked” the weather node code to deal with the extras temperatures.  I still am learning how the gateway app works so the quickest solution I found was to send the data as temperature F, pressure, humidity, and temperature C. Then I made my own custom metrics that override the default.  Now I see how to make a custom node so I wouldn’t have to overwrite the weather shield, but since I don’t have over the air programming set up yet and the system is around 100 miles away, that will wait for another day.

I currently use a proxy service, remote.it, to access my device since it is connected to someone else’s WiFi router.  I am pretty happy with how it works so far!

I am also very excited for the next gateway update to allow for multiple metrics on one graph! I saw you had a picture of that in one of the other posts on the forum and it looked great!

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 07:07:52 PM »
Regarding multiple metrics of the same type:
You could simply duplicate the F (temperature) metric, in your own custom metrics file under userMetrics folder:

Code: [Select]
F1 : { name:'F1', regexp:/\bF1\:(-?\d+\.\d+)\b/i, value:'', duplicateInterval:3600, unit:'°', pin:1, graph:1, graphValSuffix:'F1', graphOptions:{ legendLbl:'Temperature1', lines: { lineWidth:1 } }},
F2 : { name:'F2', regexp:/\bF2\:(-?\d+\.\d+)\b/i, value:'', duplicateInterval:3600, unit:'°', pin:1, graph:1, graphValSuffix:'F2', graphOptions:{ legendLbl:'Temperature2', lines: { lineWidth:1 } }},
F3 : { name:'F3', regexp:/\bF3\:(-?\d+\.\d+)\b/i, value:'', duplicateInterval:3600, unit:'°', pin:1, graph:1, graphValSuffix:'F3', graphOptions:{ legendLbl:'Temperature3', lines: { lineWidth:1 } }},
. . .

And then simply send them from your node formatted with a number like that. The number could be replaced by anything, even a more descriptive label, but I gave the example with a number to keep them short. A more descriptive example would be (for say an imaginary sensor at the "TOP" of a hive):

Code: [Select]
FTOP : { name:'FTOP', regexp:/\bFTOP\:(-?\d+\.\d+)\b/i, value:'', duplicateInterval:3600, unit:'°', pin:1, graph:1, graphValSuffix:'F3', graphOptions:{ legendLbl:'Temperature3', lines: { lineWidth:1} }},

Jason

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 08:15:14 PM »
Thanks for the code! I had something like that set up on my sensor node, but didn’t know how to update the gateway app. But I will definitely give this a go! Thanks!