Author Topic: remote AC relay  (Read 2810 times)

Kilo95

remote AC relay
« on: December 08, 2017, 03:28:53 PM »
I saw Tom's post on his dust collector remote activated blast gates. I would like to have a relay in my 220v outlet to my dust collector and remote control to just turn the outlet off and on with. I'm sure there's a way I can do it with moteinos. I don't care about power drain on the receiving end (the outlet). any suggestions?

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
Re: remote AC relay
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 03:45:53 PM »
Maybe a SwitchMotePSU (two 10A relays, 250V fuse option) + Moteino?

Kilo95

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 03:51:38 PM »
that'd be 20A at 250v? that'd work. i'd just have to wire it up. i guess a momentary switch on the remote end of it would work?

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 04:53:46 PM »
The fuse for the AC-DC side is 250V.
Do you need to switch two phases (two combined 120v)?
The relays are 10A at 250V (Omron G6RL-1A). Are your loads really more than 10A?
Or I also offer the kit with 1x16A relay.

perky

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 05:18:47 PM »
Careful too if you're switching inductive loads. You may want to put a snubber or MOV across the AC switched pins on the relay.

Mark.

TomWS

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 06:31:41 PM »
I saw Tom's post on his dust collector remote activated blast gates. I would like to have a relay in my 220v outlet to my dust collector and remote control to just turn the outlet off and on with. I'm sure there's a way I can do it with moteinos. I don't care about power drain on the receiving end (the outlet). any suggestions?
I assume that your dust collector already has a magnetic start switch, as most do for a variety of reasons.  If this is the case, all you need is a relay that can handle the load of the DC's contactor coil (would be less than an Amp, I would guess).  This relay NO contacts would bridge the switch contacts of the starter.

This is what I did with my DC and it works well without undue electrical noise or the need for an additional power relay.

Tom

Kilo95

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 06:40:21 PM »
It’d be two phases of 110v. It’s 9 A at 220v.

Kilo95

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 06:46:50 PM »
I got a 2 hp grizzly dust collector with the canister filter. It’s not quite as fancy a setup as yours. Could you tell me which relay you got?  I am using a short run of 4” flexto my table saw. I could set up a Y for when I want to use a miter saw or sander. Maybe in a few years I’ll grt to build a workshop. Then I can pipe it in. I need to look more at your fancy blast gates

TomWS

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 08:54:24 PM »
I got a 2 hp grizzly dust collector with the canister filter. It’s not quite as fancy a setup as yours. Could you tell me which relay you got?  I am using a short run of 4” flexto my table saw. I could set up a Y for when I want to use a miter saw or sander. Maybe in a few years I’ll grt to build a workshop. Then I can pipe it in. I need to look more at your fancy blast gates
Ok, so there is no contactor at the moment.  I think you will need a decent 20A-30A Double Pole contactor, with a coil voltage that matches the switching logic you can provide from your electronics.  24VAC is usually easy to deal with, both from a contactor coil perspective and a driver perspective (you can use an inexpensive triac, solid state relay, etc driven from your Moteino GPIO).  Wall Wart 24VAC transformers are easy to find. 

Tom