Author Topic: Prototype automatic weather station  (Read 7792 times)

TomWS

Re: Prototype automatic weather station
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2018, 09:11:24 AM »
Nice job! 

I'm not showing the photo to the Squirrels in my yard because they would surely go to your place and have a fun time jumping all over it!  Hmmmm, on second thought... ;)

Tom

LukaQ

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2018, 09:22:29 AM »
hahaha, let them... I do have a dog and hunting cat, where I have to save little creatures from them
Anyway, it stands by itself.. hurray, my first welding job went as expected, could do better of course. Each "leg" is extendable by ~90cm or ~3', so slope of the hill could be steep, to the point where I wouldn't be able to stand. Added power supply, so I don't have to use power bank, also are now running 12v fan, which blows onto sensor all the time. Thinking of removing offsets I used before

LukaQ

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2018, 01:40:32 AM »
This is with fan, as far as I can see, all sensor track each other pretty damn good. So, I think I know, what to look for in the next one, what to use,...
Maybe even use circular buffer with 10 values (1 per minute), as it isn't important to see all the peaks and dips throughout the day. That is, IF Moteino will have enough space on it with so many sensors, when I'll settle for one, this won't even be a question

LukaQ

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2018, 11:02:48 AM »
Just had massive rainfall, with over 140mm/h rain (over 5.6inch) with 20 mph constant wind (32 km/h). There was some water ingress, but I would count that in few 10 raindrops right after wall inside. I am damn impressed, also some more data to take with me onto next box

TomWS

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2018, 11:58:03 AM »
So, I think I know, what to look for in the next one, what to use,...
Which sensor would you use at this point?

Tom

LukaQ

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2018, 01:38:58 PM »
I think the "best one"(reference) I have is ADT7420, eval board from ADI. This one was below 10€, you can get it also on Ebay, but more expensive and unknown IC origin (why was it put on ebay, maybe it failed some spec?). But early tests show, that many different sensors are VERY comparable, some from Ebay, some bought from trusted seller, samples from manufacturers,...

Maybe you or someone else knows of some other sensors, that would compete or are even better

But it's not that easy to compare on gateway, I can't change it to the point, that I would have all graphs at once or see only delta from reference sensor
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 01:40:36 PM by LukaQ »

LukaQ

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2018, 04:13:01 AM »
I guess, to finnish this topic, here are my findings and opinions

For sensing outdoor temperature ADT7420 is my preference. For pressure and humidity, BME280.
I didn't go with SI7021 because at many times, humidity was all over the place, by that I mean, reading were up to 115% humidity, on two sensors and no, there is not that much offset from BME

Attached file is DPlot file, very powerful program, does things that are not possible in Excel or very hard.
Show picture shows sensors smoothened deviation from ADT7420 sensor.
It's not much, some still have offset, which could be removed

Dplot file