Author Topic: Out with the old, in with....Moteino!  (Read 1636 times)

DonpK

Out with the old, in with....Moteino!
« on: November 26, 2018, 02:45:35 PM »
The attached picture shows my now old Home Control System which is on its way to some land fill. It's served me well for over 20 years, but it's time to retire it. The HCS-II, for anyone interested, is described here.

The electronics in the picture and hundreds of feet of RS485 cabling connecting indoor and outdoor nodes and sensors are now being replaced by a single MoteinoMEGA Gateway and several indoor and outdoor Moteino nodes.

Thank you Felix for making it possible!

Don

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
Re: Out with the old, in with....Moteino!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 03:10:10 PM »
Well how nice huh!
I would hope you will share more photos of your setup (gateway, a few nodes), now that you showed this teaser photo!

DonpK

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 12:32:57 PM »
I'm not sure who will be teased by this ancient system :)
The "Gateway" is actually the entire PCB in the center of the first photo with eight digital and eight analog inputs. It included a "Basic-on-Chip" ROM. The programming language wasn't really Basic, but more like a faux Basic that was limited to If...then statements.  To the right in that photo is a home-built board to process several analog inputs. I had to wire-wrap the board (see photo below).

The other photos show a hand-built humidity/temperature "Link" (shield in Arduino). It used a PIC microcontroller to interface between the sensors and the RS485 bus. The other photo shows another PCB  Link with LCD display and plenty of room for add-ons. It was powered by the "Answer Man". "A low-cost stand-alone or network-based data-acquisition and control module...with speeds as high as 57.6 kbps" Amazingly, sombody still seems to sell it.

sparky

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 01:12:19 PM »
Wire wrapping... haven't seen that in quite awhile  ::)

thanks for sharing..

HeneryH

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 04:30:18 PM »
SO much easier than soldering a bunch of short wires onto a proto board though!  Bvvvvt!

TomWS

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 05:39:23 PM »
Beats solder lugs riveted into a phenolic strip...