Author Topic: Moteino with Davis Anemometer  (Read 1695 times)

Kilo95

Moteino with Davis Anemometer
« on: April 15, 2018, 04:31:37 PM »
I’ve been thinking of adding an anemometer to my PWS which is a Weathershield. I think it’s going to be more simple for me to use another Moteino just for the anemometer as far as the sketches go. I’ve about decided on a Davis anemometer which runs on 5V. I’ve found a sketch on Cactus.io that is for measuring the wind speed and direction. I’ll have to add the radio portions of a sketch to that one. My question is, what will I need to change on the PiGateway? Gateway.js?

Here is the link to the sketch I was thinking of starting with: http://cactus.io/hookups/weather/anemometer/davis/hookup-arduino-to-davis-anemometer-software

Any thoughts or advice is welcome
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 05:14:16 PM by Kilo95 »

ssmall

Re: Moteino with Davis Anemometer
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 09:54:24 PM »
I think you are on the right track by separating your weather sensors using different motes.  I have a weather station and I used to have everything combined into one, wind speed, direction, rain sensor, temp, humidity, etc.  The code got pretty complicated, plus the temperature was never correct because it was partially exposed to the sun.  You want to locate your temperature sensor where it is shaded and out of the way.  You want your wind sensor located out in the open so you can sense the air movement.  The Davis anemometer will work on 3.3V.  The code out on cactus.IO will need to be modified to be low power if you use batteries.  As far as the Pi Gateway goes, you will just need to add some new user metrics for the wind speed and direction.  If you would like I can post mine and you can modify things to your liking.

Kilo95

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 11:47:40 PM »
That would be wonderful! Thanks! My PWS with THP is running on a supercap and solar panel. I’m going to try going that route with the anemometer. If that doesn’t work, I’ll use a lipo. It should be pretty easy to pull readings from it and my PWS and combine to send to WeatherUnderground. I have my PWS mounted inside the top of my daughter’s playset outside with the solar panel laid on the roof. It’d be pretty easy to mount the anemometer on the outside and run the wire in

LukaQ

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 11:58:26 PM »
If you ain't going to have sleep and a lot of sleep, cap won't be able to get you through the night, unless you also have bigger cap. One thing you could do is use interrupt to measure wind speed, just like reading pulses of power meter, average them and store, find peak speed... and only send every 1min or so. And sleep as much as possible. But you would need external timer, else you won't be able to sleep.

Maybe you could so something very slow, running 1Mhz to take readings, then send them to moteino to transmit

ssmall

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 06:35:20 PM »
Here are my wind speed and direction metrics:

Code: [Select]
  WS : { name:'WS', regexp:/WS\:([\d\.]+)/i, value:'', unit:'mph', pin:1, graph:1, graphOptions:{ legendLbl:'Miles/Hour', lines: { lineWidth:1 }}},
  WDIR : { name:'WDIR', regexp:/WDIR\:(W|NW|N|SW|NE|S|SE|E)/i, value:''},

Kilo95

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 09:17:44 PM »
Luka, I’m not stuck on a cap. I have a 7.5F supercap leftover from my PWS build. Thought I might get a couple more to wire together for 21.5F. I’m not stuck on using a cap though. I’ll use a lipo if necessary. Thanks for your advice.

Ssmall...thanks for sharing yours with me

LukaQ

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 11:53:57 PM »
This application, I don't think can be low power as with sensors, you might be forced to use battery or wall power, capacitors here won't work, I don't think. But I would love to see how you'll do it

Rozier

• NewMember
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 09:38:04 AM »
Awesome project, Kilo95. I'm impressed. I agree, lipo would probably be a great choice if you want to go that route. But I think this is fine as it is.
I think Noocube looks like a great option for everyone.