Author Topic: Icy Conditions? Moteinos keep on working...  (Read 1558 times)

TomWS

Icy Conditions? Moteinos keep on working...
« on: December 13, 2017, 02:42:21 PM »
I had to turn off the auto filler on my man-made stream due to an early freeze here in NC, but left my Stream Level sensor in place as I figured it wouldn't be affected by a brief freeze.  I hadn't counted on the splatter from the waterfall freezing on it, as you can see in the photo below.  Even the antenna wire was coated with a thick layer of ice!

Still going strong, however!  Not too surprisingly, the signal is a bit attenuated (dropped to -83dbm from normal -78), but still plenty of margin.

Enjoy...

Tom

Kilo95

Re: Icy Conditions? Moteinos keep on working...
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 09:49:00 AM »
Nice! my Weathershield is in an appropriate housing but held up to our first winter storm in NE Wisconsin yesterday with flying colors. 6+ inches of snow, -9 degrees F this morning at 0600 CST. No drop in voltage at all with the supercap. gotta love a Moteino

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 11:47:07 AM »
:)
It's been real cold here in Michigan the past week, had a few snow storms, my outdoor mailbox Moteino is also working without issues.
467days since last charge, at 3.67v now with strong signal, I wonder how much more it will go. Tom's ATC is what makes that possible.

Kilo95

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 12:42:55 PM »
my WS with supercap hasnt dropped below 5.01v since I turned it on. The little solar panel must keep it charged well along with the ATC

TomWS

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 10:24:15 PM »
my WS with supercap hasnt dropped below 5.01v since I turned it on. The little solar panel must keep it charged well along with the ATC
Do you go out and brush the 6" of snow off of it in the morning? 

Tom

Kilo95

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 09:16:27 AM »
nope. the solar panel is on top of the roof of my daughter's playset about 10-12ft off the ground. it is sloped at 30-45 deg facing the south. the snow usually doesn't pile up on it