Author Topic: Backyard WeatherStation for Planting and later Aquaponics.  (Read 29820 times)

hexibot43

Re: Backyard WeatherStation for Planting and later Aquaponics.
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2014, 05:31:35 PM »
    Thank is lot Felix, that is what I needed to hear.  Going to just install a simple voltage divider to measure the battery state and walk away from this for a while.  I'm feeling much better about the battery now.  I had got some bad data off the net. 

hexibot43

« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2014, 11:36:58 AM »
I know it's me but can someone set me straight here.  I've been doing a lot of reading, and a lot or trail and error...more error getting a reading of my battery voltage.  I've attached the battery voltage positive to A0 pin through a voltage divider.  1 MOhm  to the B+,  470KOHM to Ground with a 1uf ceramic cap in parallel, and finally A0 connected to the center of the circuit.  The voltage divider part of the circuit appears to be working perfectly.  With 5.12 Volts at Vin, I'm seeing 1.575 volts at A0 to ground.  Where the problem is coming into the circuit is what I'm reading at the ADC.  I wrote a very very simple test program that is just accessing the ADC at A0 and spitting out a reading.

https://codebender.cc/sketch:33493

I'm getting a value returned somewhere around 98-100.  If I calculate that out  98 * 3.3 Volts / 1023 =   .316 volts.....  I checked my Regulated voltage and 3.3v out is 3.3 volts and not something else. 

Where am I going wrong here? 

hexibot43

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2014, 11:24:33 PM »
     I just got it working, but really want to know why it wasn't working when using A0.  The only thing I did to get it working was to change from A0 to A7.  Is there something I need to know about the A0-A5 to use them as analog instead of Digital?  My ADC test program is now working well.  The only thing I had different than what I had been reading was the Analog pin I was using. 

So what is the Deal-i-o?  I couldn't find anything.  But it works on A7 and not on A0.

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2014, 12:41:36 PM »
Perhaps a damaged IO pin?

hexibot43

« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2014, 09:46:10 PM »
Why that thought never occurred to me I'm not sure.  But all is good.  Now deployed and we'll wait until no more data is being reported to give get a true determination of battery life.  At least it has kept me from the website design end of it all.  I don't have any more excuses for not finishing it now.

hexibot43

« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2014, 12:53:11 AM »
     I'm realizing I need to add some kind of light sensor into my project.  I'm making my third attempt at growing Bell Peppers.  I've had very little luck.  I've been doing a lot of reading and want to gather as much empirical data as I can.  All the temperature sensors are working really well. 

This is what I've looked at so far.

http://www.adafruit.com/search?q=light+sensor

Anybody have any suggestions here. 

Thanks,

Mab

jra

« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2014, 10:07:21 AM »
You're further along than I am.  My ultimate goal is to deploy a sensor/control system in my cold frame that will allow me to measure the basics (temperature, humidity, light, soil moisture) and minimize the temperature swings by controlling  a small space heater and an exhaust fan.  I've gotten as far as deploying solderless  breadboard prototype 0.1 to monitor temperature and humidity and transmit the information to a RPI for logging .  To measure light, I would use a sensor that has a logarithmic output.  Adafruit has one for $3.95 http://www.adafruit.com/products/1384 which is probably less expensive than starting with a dollar photocell and building/tweaking your own log amp.  I've not had much luck with sweet peppers either, they seem to require a very long growing season.

hexibot43

« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2014, 10:13:31 PM »
You're further along than I am.  My ultimate goal is to deploy a sensor/control system in my cold frame that will allow me to measure the basics (temperature, humidity, light, soil moisture) and minimize the temperature swings by controlling  a small space heater and an exhaust fan.  I've gotten as far as deploying solderless  breadboard prototype 0.1 to monitor temperature and humidity and transmit the information to a RPI for logging .  To measure light, I would use a sensor that has a logarithmic output.  Adafruit has one for $3.95 http://www.adafruit.com/products/1384 which is probably less expensive than starting with a dollar photocell and building/tweaking your own log amp.  I've not had much luck with sweet peppers either, they seem to require a very long growing season.

Ordered a couple of those Sensors just this moment.  I'm having much better luck listening to everyone's good advice rather that bumbling through it myself.

I did some ( A Lot ) of reading last night on growing Peppers.  First thing that was said was never use peet pellets.  Or peat period!  Peppers don't like it.  I've had such good luck starting other vegetables in those peat pellets on my kitchen window sill I never thought that would be an issue. 

http://www.ecoseeds.com/Pepper.growing.tips.html

Doing a little research last night came up with a company right in my town.  They had lots of tips.  I love roasted bell peppers, and want to can my own so that I'll have them all year.  I've got friends who have them coming out their ears and they are only 10 miles away from me.  I think that it is even colder in San Mateo than here in Redwood City.  I've a south facing wall that is painted white.  I've decided to put a couple planter beds right there and see what happens.  I'll be placing another Moteino there as soon as those sensors from Adafruit show up. 

I've never done a cold frame before either.  I think you are way ahead of me.  That looks like it might be a good way to keep the heat up.  I'm just really worried when, or if Summer ever gets here it would be too much.  My backyard gets to 100F.  A lot of people I talk to say that my Greenhouse will be too hot.  I'm planning on having a curtain system that will move to help control temperature.  But I'm no where near any of that yet.  First I have to complete the Green House. 

Thanks for the input.  Let you know if I stumble on something that works with the Peppers.

Mab