Author Topic: Advice please on do-ability of project  (Read 1221 times)

Physwiz

• NewMember
Advice please on do-ability of project
« on: November 05, 2018, 08:22:17 AM »
Hi, as a newbie, I would be grateful for the Moteino community to review how and what I intend to do.
I’m a physiotherapist (physical therapist in North America) and I have housebound neurological patients who struggle to initiate the first step. Once going and with a prompt (traditionally a metronome) they can walk to the beat. As my patients are housebound, I need to take my gym with me.
I need to take small units to hang on the walls that beep and flash in time and in unison, controlled by a unit that I hold.
I have created a hardwired version using an UNO. It has a main unit with on/off and ‘faster’ and ‘slower’ buttons and wires to two boxes. Each box has a red LED, a green LED and a beeper.
Let’s say I think my patient could walk at 20 steps a minute. I press my ‘faster’ button until the display reads 20 and then the red and green LEDs alternately flash 20 times / minute alongside a beep.
The patient then steps left (red) and right ( green) with alternating high and low tone beeps.
I can slow this or speed this as she walks. As you can guess wires are fiddly  and dangerous in a patient’s home.
So, depending on the layout of a patient’s home, I want to hang up 2 or 4 or 7 boxes depending on what they need. In this way they’re not just walking up and down, they can visit the kitchen, up the stairs, the toilet and so on.
My thoughts - is the rfm69 915 suitable? Is the Moteino USB a good micro controller for this, running off a battery? Battery life - can the ‘slave’ units sit on the wall for an extended period of time until ‘woken up’?
Is my Uno code going to run on a Moteino I think they use the same chip?
Feasibility - I’m a Physio not a coder but I do have some time. My Uno set up has taken six months on and off but the hardware is now OK (i.e. I can now solder!) Is this do-able?
Thanks in advance, kind regards, Al.

TomWS

Re: Advice please on do-ability of project
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 08:40:18 AM »
Your project is absolutely 'do-able' - with the right skills.  Since you've been able to make an Arduino version using an Uno, then you've got the programming skills to do the task.  The trick is creating the 'box' that you hold (keyfob or small enclosure) that has the switches and RF transmitter.  This can be done with a Moteino in the hand held unit.

Replacing the Uno implementation at the far end (where the metronome is located) is very easy with a Moteino.  The code is virtually the same except for the RF section replacing your switch GPIO code.  Logically the same (and smaller).

The devil's in the details, however, as your Uno runs on 5Volts.  Moteinos with radios are powered from 5V, but the hardware runs on 3.3V and may require some change to your lights and noise makers.

PM me and I'll help you out...

Tom
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 08:42:28 AM by TomWS »

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 10:55:37 AM »
Maybe once you guys figure this out, you can share this project here in some degree (if at all share-able and "open-source"). Might help others conceptually with setting up a similar RF link.
If I can help in any way let me know!
Looking forward to it ;)

Physwiz

• NewMember
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 03:31:19 PM »
Hi All,

Thank you for your replies. I will be back in touch when I have some Moteinos. The Adafruit Radiowing is available in the UK, but not the Moteino. Back in touch soon when I have the shipping sorted.

Kind regards,

Al.

Physwiz

• NewMember
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 02:26:02 PM »
Hi,
I'm looking for code tags before I post?! Do you moteino guys use them?
Regards,
Al.

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 02:54:24 PM »
Above the EDIT box, there is a little button with a # on it. Select your code and then click that button, it wrap your code in [ code ] tags.

TomWS

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 05:35:55 PM »
For large blocks of code, like an entire sketch, attach the files using Attachments and other options as you'll see below the message window.