Author Topic: multigraph and shared axis  (Read 1007 times)

Uncle Buzz

multigraph and shared axis
« on: February 24, 2021, 04:04:54 PM »
Hi,

Is there a way to share the axis with many metrics on the same graph? I mean if I have 2 temperature sensors on one node sending metric T1 and T2, can I display both on the multigraph with only one common axis? With the scale from min(min(T1),min(T2)) to max(max(T1), max(T2)) ?

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
Re: multigraph and shared axis
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 09:24:27 PM »
There is no logic to determine if multiple metrics should share 1 Y axis.
But otherwise I don't see why not, as long as they are distinctly defined (T1 and T2 would be good examples) and are both on a node.
They would then go on a multigraph on a node. The time axis would be shared. The y axes would be distinct though, if that's what you're really asking. That's because even if the "suffix" or unit of measure would be the same, the scaling could be different. You could measure Fahrenheit from 0 to 100 and another metric from -40 to 200, in the same view.

Anyway you can play with autoscaling in the metric definition to get them to display how you desire.
I believe the default samples illustrate various settings that you can use to achieve this.

Uncle Buzz

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 08:30:08 AM »
I thought there was a way to explicitly ask to put 2 or more metrics on the same axis (with specific configuration), of course, it can't be automatic, but it could be an interesting option.
Since the configuration of multigraph is done manually, such an option could exist and be set manually as well, adding in my example T1 and T2 explicitly on the same shared axis (because I manually configure it), the software would only care about minimum and maximum numeric values for autoscale, it won't care about unit nor conversion...
It would be my responsibility to not add temperature and humidity on the same axis since it won't mean anything, the software doesn't have to deal with that.

I was just asking if such a feature already exists, if not I could live without it.

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 08:33:47 AM »
No such an option doesn't exist.