Gateway v8.9 released!

Started by Felix, April 18, 2017, 03:40:49 PM

Felix

You can now check the new features/fixes in the last release(s) here: https://github.com/LowPowerLab/RaspberryPi-Gateway/releases/tag/v8.9

As always:
- make sure to back up your data before you do an upgrade to ensure there is no loss in case something goes wrong.
- report any issues here or submit a PR in github

sparky

#1
Although I installed v8.9, this issue started in v8.8.

When ringing the doorbell (once) from the button or via the Dashboard, I get double text, see attached


Felix

I see different timestamps, are you sure there isn't a double "tap" event at the doorbell itself?
You can look at the gateway.sys.log to see if there aren't duplicates.

One way to avoid this is to use a "limited" SMS, see the motionSMSLimiter example in metrics.js where an SMS is limited to a certain time limit - this uses the new smsRepeatLimit setting which you can adjust in the settings page.
I've started using this myself on most SMS alerts. Someone might ring the bell 10 times in 5 seconds, i certainly dont want 10 messages in a row.

sparky

#3
It first happened yesterday when someone came to the door and I thought maybe they pushed the button twice.  After loading v8.9 this morning I gave the button a push myself and sure enough I got the double text.  Still thinking it might be the old button I tried ringing it thru the dashboard and I still got the double text.

Here's a view of it in the gateway.sys.log and it's like you thought, a double entry;

[04-19-17_12:31:11.669] [LOG]   >: [4] RING   [RSSI:-47][ACK-sent]
[04-19-17_12:31:11.676] [LOG]   post: /home/pi/gateway/data/db/0004_RING.bin[1492619471,1]
[04-19-17_12:31:12.067] [LOG]      [4] DB-Updates:1
[04-19-17_12:31:13.504] [LOG]   SENDSMS SUCCESS: 250 2.0.0 OK 1492619473 c3sm1547223ita.14 - gsmtp
[04-19-17_12:31:14.685] [LOG]   >: [4] RING   [RSSI:-47][ACK-sent]
[04-19-17_12:31:14.694] [LOG]   post: /home/pi/gateway/data/db/0004_RING.bin[1492619474,1]
[04-19-17_12:31:14.727] [LOG]      [4] DB-Updates:1
[04-19-17_12:31:15.750] [LOG]   SENDSMS SUCCESS: 250 2.0.0 OK 1492619475 w75sm1544159itc.21 - gsmtp


I can see it happening in the switch, possibly with a lose wire or bad contacts, but it would be hard to double click a button in the dashboard by mistake.

I will try the smsRepeatLimit if nothing can be figured out.

Thanks

sparky

The problem appears to be an intermittent bad connection between the Moteino and the Bell Mote.  Holding my meter leads on D4 and ground with one hand and pressing the Ring it! button with the other was enough to solve the issue.  Although the solder joints look very good, looking thru some jewelers glasses, it's either that or the male/female header pins. 

But..
After removing the meter and clicking the Ring it! button about 6 more times the issue returned.  Looking at the Moteino again it appeared that it was lifted ever so slightly from the female header.  Pressing the Moteino down solved the issue again.  Hard to believe that that tiny relay could have caused enough vibration causing the double texts..  I know long ago you had some issues with, I believe female headers, have you had any issues since then?  What's your thoughts?

Thanks
   

sparky

Well so much for all that; the issue is back!

The ONLY thing that is consistent is that when it sends double texts; the texts are always 3 seconds apart.   :-[

Felix

I think I've seen this myself with my mailbox the other day.
I will have to look into it. What's strange is the double message that appears in the log.
Also it looks like the limited repeat SMS wont work for whatever reason, doh. So I have to fix these things and release an 8.9.1 or something.
Thanks for the patience.

sparky

#7
Thanks Felix

While your at it would you look at this also..   ;D

When your in the settings menu and you click on one of the settings, such as smsRepeatLimit, the pop up box does not appear white like you show on your github link; instead I get the same greyish color as the background and its very hard to read the setting description.  See attached

I have tried both Chrome and Explorer as well as 3 different computers, 1 IPad, and 2 different android phones with all having the same result.

Thanks again


Felix

Yeah I noticed that and while I cant explain how it worked before I commited the PR and now it looks so bad, I already fixed it so if you grab the latest index.html it will be fixed.
This will go in the next patch release.