Author Topic: Connecting the CT50 Thermostat to WiFi  (Read 6756 times)

mak352

• NewMember
Connecting the CT50 Thermostat to WiFi
« on: October 02, 2019, 08:49:32 AM »
Does anyone have any experience installing a ct50 thermostat that can point me in the right direction? I recently purchased a ct50 thermostat from Amazon with the idea to connect it to my Pi Gateway. I successfully installed the ct50 with no problem, but I can't seem to be able to connect the thermostat to my local network. There were no instructions that came with the unit so I had to do an internet search. The internet said that once the thermostat is installed and the wifi is working, then type 192.168.10.1 into a browser to bring up the thermostat's web page where you can connect by typing in the thermostat's pin number. Unfortunately, I get a web page can't be found error. Can anybody help me with this issue?

sparky

Re: ct50 thermostat and the Pi Gateway
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 09:23:02 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like your thermostat is wired but not provisioned.  Provisioning is the process to connect your thermostat to your wifi.  If this hasn't been done do a reset on the thermostat by pressing the reset button on the thermostat.  From a computer, or phone, search for available wifi networks and select the thermostat, can't remember the name but it will be evident.   No browse to it using the ip you mentioned.   Once there it will ask you the name of your router and password along with the pin on your thermostat,  top left corner.  If it disappears you can always do another reset.  Then after the provisioning all you need to do is enter the ip that your thermostat is on into the setup of the gateway.

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
Re: ct50 thermostat and the Pi Gateway
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 09:55:56 AM »
IOW ... connect to your thermostat's wifi (something like thermostat-XX-YY-ZZ). It will display a page asking for a PIN. That PIN is displayed on the thermostat LCD at that time, enter it and follow directions. You will then pick your home wifi, enter credentials. At which point the thermostat will stop broadcasting its own wifi (that you connected to) and attempt to connect to your home wifi. If all is good, it is then connected and ready to receive requests. The IP of your thermostat will be found in your router's DHCP table.

mak352

• NewMember
Re: Connecting the CT50 Thermostat to WiFi
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 11:22:52 AM »
Yes, I think the problem is that I can't seem to provision the wifi setup. I do get a pin number after I reset the thermostat and I can see thermostat-77-08-70 in the list of wifi networks on my computer. However, when click the connect button to connect to the network, it gives me the "Can't connect to this network" message. I am using Windows 10 and I am wondering if there is any other Windows 10 setting I have to do to get this to work. Any ideas?

Felix

• Administrator
    • LowPowerLab
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 05:02:57 PM »
Yes: Try another device  ;)

Kilo95

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 11:03:49 AM »
I had issues with mine too. I believe I first connected to mine via the Radio Thermostat app on my iphone. Also, the IP address wasn't what the manual on the internet stated.  I had to go into my router's page (ex 192.168.1.1) and see what IP address it was connected to.

mak352

• NewMember
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 09:35:13 AM »
UPDATE: I was finally able to provision the thermostat and connect it to my home network. Once the thermostat was connected to my network I was able to setup the thermostat on my Pi Gateway with no problem at all and everything is working perfectly now.

It was no easy task to get the thermostat connected to my network. I tried to provision the thermostat with Windows 10, Android, and Linux. None of these OSes were able to connect to the thermostat. I even spent 2 or 3 hours with a software engineer friend of mine, trying to get Raspberry Pi Stretch to connect with no success. The only way I was able to connect was to connect using Apple OS. I'm not sure why all those other OSes wouldn't connect, but my best guess is that the wifi module in the thermostat uses the very old and very unsecure open WEP protocol with no password and the only OS that supports open WEP with no password is Apple OS. I tried this on a very old iPad and on a modern up to date iPhone and both connected with no problem.

It doesn't make sense to me as to why, at least, Linux doesn't support open WEP with no password and why only Apple OS worked. But I just wanted to let everybody know that if you purchase a CT50 thermostat with the idea to connect it to the Pi Gateway you will need to provision it using an iPhone or iPad.