RX_RSSI values (newbie)

Started by cosax, June 20, 2014, 06:42:15 PM

cosax

I am struggling to undertstand the RX_RSSI value and why it is what it is. I am running the gateway and node sketches with two moteinos 10 cm apart and I get the following:

Gateway:

[2] 123 A   [RX_RSSI:-27] - ACK sent. Pinging node 2 - ACK...ok!
[2] 123 AB   [RX_RSSI:-28] - ACK sent.
[2] 123 ABC   [RX_RSSI:-27] - ACK sent.
[2] 123 ABCD   [RX_RSSI:-27] - ACK sent. Pinging node 2 - ACK...ok!

Node:
[1] ACK TEST   [RX_RSSI:-5] - ACK sent
Sending[17]: 123 ABCDEFGHIJKLM ok!
Sending[18]: 123 ABCDEFGHIJKLMN ok!
Sending[19]: 123 ABCDEFGHIJKLMNO ok!
[1] ACK TEST   [RX_RSSI:-4] - ACK sent

1. why the RSSI values are consistently so different? Their radio configurations are identical.
2. Does the RX_RSSI indicate local receive problem or remote transmit or it could be either?

hdphilip


cosax,
maybe their too close, turn the power down and keep them about 3ft apart.

see what happens

I'm assuming your using a straight piece attached to the boards.

Philip

cosax

I have tried that. There is always a difference of about 20 between the RSSI readings of the 2 moteinos.

Felix

I would get worried when the RSSI is less than -50 or something like that. Too close is no issue.