Main Menu

Noob question

Started by Titanite, November 11, 2014, 09:33:55 AM

Titanite

Hello,
I would like to set up a sump pump monitor like Felix describes.  Couple of questions:
1st: I am not a programmer by any means, however I am able to tinker and figure things out. Is this a project for me? I am handy with a soldering iron so building the components wont be an issue.
2nd: Question surrounding the txting of the alerts. How does this happen? Will the device use my wifi to send it out, or do I need another piece of hardware?
I guess what I am asking is are all the scripts (not sure if thats the right terminology or not) ready to go, build the device, load the scripts and it all works, or do I need to complete some programming on my own?
Thank you in advance!
T

Felix

My solution required 5V wired power from a USB phone wall charger or similar. I will soon have a SumpPumpMonitor solution that is battery operated, so it might be worth waiting for that. It would also require minimal soldering.
The SMS text messaging involved sending an email to your carrier, you should have an email address which is something like [email protected] if you have AT&T. Sending a message there will redirect it to your phone as an SMS text message. You can do that from a python script by using gmail or other email service you may have access to. So it's a little involved but not impossible. The sample code of how to do that is here: https://github.com/LowPowerLab/SumpPumpAlert/blob/master/Gateway.py

That code would need to run on a Pi or similar computer, which has a receiver Moteino that gets alerts from the SumpPumpMonitor.
Once my new SPMonitor is available I will publish a blog post releasing the news and the code/instructions that go with it.